How to prevent glare on screen

I am a new user of GPS and chose TomTom based upon all the reviews and so far have been very pleased but like many said the screen is very difficult to see in bright sunlight. Does anyone have suggestions? Is there a screen saver that will make the screen more visible?

Thanks so much. I went to the web site you suggested and that is exactly what I was looking for. I had even thought about how I might be able to make just such a "hood". I have ordered one and I know it is going to help because I had been using a stiff piece of cardboard.

In the car I do not have to much of a problem with glare, probably due to wear the GPS is located on an A/C Vent, now on the motorcycle it's a different story, it's almost impossible to stop the glare, guess the hood might help and I do have a small one but it's no help, so what I do during daytime hours is put it on the night mode and turn the brightness up to 100% and this is a little better, since mine is an older model there are no plug to use speakers or earplugs, so hearing the instructions for me is out........so far it's worked fairly well, of course I could jack up the volume to 100% but then everyone around me would also here her talking and I don't really appreciate all that talking.........lol

I ordered the Glare Stomper and it does help about 80% of the time, but the other 20% when the sun is in a certain part of the sky and you're driving a certain direction glare will still be a problem. You'll also have to adjust either the GPS or your head a bit throughout the day as the sun changes so you can get it at an angle where the hood stops the glare. It helps, but it's not perfect. I've been looking into anti-glare protective film for over the display but I'm unconvinced that it would actually help...the last kind I got didn't do anything at all :(

I found if I stick my TT up high on the windshield (just to the right of my rear view mirror) the roof of the car shades the screen. Of course if my wife in the passenger seat needs to use the visor, the TT can be a bit in the way. For the charger cord, I loop it up over the RV mirror and then to the unit.

I'm using an Arkon model TTEP112 TomTom EasyPort Friction Dash Mount which has a gooseneck on it which works well with the XXL 540-TM. It has a ball on the end so it can position the unit anyplace I like to eliminate/reduce glare. There is a tension knob on the back to control how easy/hard it is to swivel the TomTom around.

Another tip to reduce glare - wear a plain dark colored shirt. When I wear a light colored shirt or something dark with light colored graphics/stripes I notice some glare on the screen.

I'm using an Arkon model TTEP112 TomTom EasyPort Friction Dash Mount which has a gooseneck on it which works well with the XXL 540-TM. It has a ball on the end so it can position the unit anyplace I like to eliminate/reduce glare. There is a tension knob on the back to control how easy/hard it is to swivel the TomTom around.

Another tip to reduce glare - wear a plain dark colored shirt. When I wear a light colored shirt or something dark with light colored graphics/stripes I notice some glare on the screen.

Thank you! I just ordered the Akron. I gave my old XL and a weighted base to my grand daughter, so this is exactly what I needed.

Does that TTEP112 actually keep good suction to the base?

I have one of those sticky-back rectangular bases that starts out real good but, after time, loses the suction. I suspect it may be the sunlite/heat/black dash combo with mine.

It's also in a 2-seater so I think vibration plays into it as well. One thing for sure is it scares the heck out of me when it falls off!

I was in Office Depot the other day and saw a very inexpensive 'Skin Shade' for the 3.5" or 4.3" GPS units ($3.99). Not sure how much shade it would provide, but would provide some damage protection when/if it ever falls off your windshield. It's made of soft plastic and stretchy. Fits TomToms and Garmins they say with all sorts of openings on the sides for button presses and/or cable connection.

Bracketron Skin Shade Protective GPS Gel Shade:
950370_sk_lg.jpg

Link: Bracketron Skin Shade Protective GPS Gel Shade by Office Depot

I don't have that exact one but something similar, for the car it works ok but on the motorcylce it doesn't make much difference.........

Ask a Question