How to make Home to install maps from hard drive?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One
If your maps are stored on your HD, not on a DVD, can you make the TT1 Home recognize the maps for install? Thanks!

If your maps are stored on your HD, not on a DVD, can you make the TT1 Home recognize the maps for install? Thanks!

You can create a *.toc file. If you have the map installed on you TT1 just copy it ot your computer using HOME. When you browse to the 'From Device' folder in your TomTom directory you should see the map and the *.toc. The *.toc file allows HOME to recognize the file and be able to select it to install on your TT1 from the hard drive.

indeed, this works. I installed the new maps this way, rather then listening to my DVD drive struggling to constantly seek the DVD for an hour to download the tomtom.

copy the DVD drive to a folder on your HD, edit all the TOC files, then there is a preference in HOME to point it there.

Thanks, guys. But where are the *.toc files located? I assume they are configuration files that point to DVD as sources or other locations. But when I looked on the TT1 device, I didn't see any *.toc file. Could you provide a template?

Thanks, guys. But where are the *.toc files located? I assume they are configuration files that point to DVD as sources or other locations. But when I looked on the TT1 device, I didn't see any *.toc file. Could you provide a template?

copy the entire DVD to the hard drive, you'll see them. edit the pathnames in the TOC files to point to whatever HD directory you copied to.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Since I didn't know how the device finds the maps, I picked the small Guam as a guinea pig. In TT1 Home, I clicked copy to computer, then I went to the Tomtom/Home/FromDevice/GO directory and found two files created: Guam.toc and Guam.zip. So I copied my North America map as a NA.zip here and modified Guam.toc contents and renamed it as NA.zip. When I started TT1 Home again, it recognized the map and started to install it onto my device.

Ask a Question