How to load map

TomTom Model(s)
One v5
Hi, I've just purchaced a Tom Tom One version 5 suitable for Europe maps. I have bought a Europe map and paid via Pay Pal. The payment had gone through and I followed the onscreen advice and inserted the memory card in and received an error message.

What can I do? We are off to Greece in 24hrs any help would be much appreciated.

There are many versions of a ONE, including some named V5. As far as I can tell, that model only has 1GB storage and everything, maps and application must be run from either internal or a SD card which can only be 2 gb max in size. I don't think you'll be able to do it with a complete Europe map.

Did you buy it for your specific model using Home or the Map Store?

Also, please put the first 2 letters of your serial number (found on bottom) in the link below to determine what model TT says you have:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/c/2355

Report back, please.

That serial number shows as ONE 2nd Edition - 1GB

That card will not work on your device. At best a 2GB card with everything on it might work but Europe won't fit on it.

You will have to load individual maps on it. We have a Tom Tom One Version 2 and it takes a 2GB SDRamcard and ONLY a 2GB SD Ram card. When we want to use the internal 1GB of memory which contains the USA/CANADA map we remove the SD Ramcard and reboot; the USA/CANADA map appears. When we want to use our United Kingdom map we insert the 2GB SDRamcard and get a choice of UK or Ireland but no USA/CANADA. We are updating our maps and will be putting up to 2GB (actually less if we can get away with it) on each 2GB card and labelling them. I am just figuring out how to load the maps onto an SD Ramcard without using HOME. We'll get there eventually.

You should be able to use Explorer to copy map folders from one storage device to another.

Are you SURE a 4GB non-HC SD card won't work dhn?

I've installed several of these in TomTom models that were only supposed to be "2GB maximum".

Yup, Andy. While some of the units would read correctly from a 4GB card, most of them could not write correctly to it, so at a minimum, it would bomb trying to write the ttgo.bif if the system were on the card, and later, things like the mapsettings file if there was a map loaded on the card. I even tried a 4GB non-SD in my old 720 before they had gotten past the version 7.221 navcore and it just wouldn't cut it.

It was interesting at the time because we all first thought things were working correctly with those cards because we could get the units to see the map(s) on the card and such. In actual use, we were running into trouble. 4GB non-SD cards were aberrations in any case as there was technically no SD specification for such a thing. Before SDHC finally came around, a number of companies played around with these, but many devices didn't have the proper internal drivers to read/write them correctly.

TomTom was a real oddball in that it appeared that the Linux USB drivers for reading were able to handle 4GB, but not for writing.

I know that 4GB SD was never a proper standard, but all I can say is I've had no complaints from anyone!

There's one ex-colleague of mine who's running an early-model ONE, a Go 300 and a Go500 (IIRC), all on 4GB non-HD SD cards.

And my venerable Go720 which I've deliberately left on v7.221, is running happily off one too.

They are still fairly easily available, I've got a brochure from UK-wholesaler CPC in front of me which has them for £5.43.

Nuts. Our history here stops back in 2009, after the point where we were able to recommend 8.302 (or even 8.351) to 720 users. I'd swear that we were having user issues with write operations to 4GB back before these things would take an SDHC card. Could be that I'm imagining the whole thing, and that somehow, it was SDHC that would read but not write properly at 7.221.

Nuts. Our history here stops back in 2009, after the point where we were able to recommend 8.302 (or even 8.351) to 720 users. I'd swear that we were having user issues with write operations to 4GB back before these things would take an SDHC card. Could be that I'm imagining the whole thing, and that somehow, it was SDHC that would read but not write properly at 7.221.
No personal experience with this, but I seem to recall reading "Make sure that you use an SD card, not a SDHC card" in some of the forums.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Oh, THAT part was definitely true. The block sizes called out between the two card formats would confuse a device with SD-only firmware.

Ask a Question