How to know why TT plans a route?

We have a TT XXL. It is set up to us IQ routes & fastest route. When we travel from Neodesha, KS to Chanute, KS it avoids the shortest AND fastest route which is a section of highway 47 East of Altoona, KS. I have tried this with the IQ feature on and off, but the results are the same. Also, we do NOT have the real time road information on this TT device.

With this in mind how can I understand WHY it is routing us this way?

The ten mile section of highway 47 East of Altoona in question is pending major reconstruction soon. Utility poles and underground utilities have been and are in the process of being moved for the road construction. However there is no road construction there now. Again, our TT avoids this section of road regardless of the IQ on or off.

Is it possible that the TT map update has verified that this section of road will be under construction?

Do I understand correctly, that if the IQ feature is turned off that the TT should not be aware of the road construction?

Thank you all for your help and support.

Bret C
:rolleyes:

It's always possible that someone has blocked that section of road with MapShare. Try using TT Home and deleting all of the MapShare information on your unit from there. If that doesn't improve things, let us know and we can delve into it further.

It's always possible that someone has blocked that section of road with MapShare. Try using TT Home and deleting all of the MapShare information on your unit from there. If that doesn't improve things, let us know and we can delve into it further.

Thank you for your reply. I do not see where to delete the map share files. It is more of a point of curiosity than anything at this point. I think I will just leave it alone for now and assume that the construction is the reason for avoiding the most direct and fastest route.

On a similar point I routed a trip from Neodesha, KS to the Tulsa airport and much to my surprise the TT did route the fastest route. Most other GPS units and Internet mapping systems take a different route. With this in mind, I have a higher confidence level of my new TT.

Thanks!

Bret C

Thanks for the tip, but I do not have a "tools" on my TomTom Home.

Bret C
Should be along the top bar of the application, not one of the "buttons" in the middle. If you don't have the beta or Tyre loaded (which add a couple more entires) the top bar should read

File - Device - Tools - Help

And as I recall, your TomTom must be connected before the MapShare option shows up under Tools.

Finally found the tools menu

Should be along the top bar of the application, not one of the "buttons" in the middle. If you don't have the beta or Tyre loaded (which add a couple more entires) the top bar should read

File - Device - Tools - Help

And as I recall, your TomTom must be connected before the MapShare option shows up under Tools.

OK, I finally found the "tools" menu. Because I am using an Apple Imac my tools function is on the very top of the screen, not on the "home" program itself.

I will try this.

thanks!

Bret C

TT STILL avoids the fasts and most direct route - STRANGE

OK, I finally found the "tools" menu. Because I am using an Apple Imac my tools function is on the very top of the screen, not on the "home" program itself.

I will try this.

thanks!

Bret C

Very strange how my TT XXL still avoids the most direct route from Neodesha KS to 2617 South Santa Fe Avenue
Chanute, KS 66720-3206 which is state why 47 East of Altoona, KS. I have removed the "map share corrections" (by the way, how do I put them back?), tried various settings in the TT of trusted sources, turned off IQ etc. The ONLY thing that I can think of is the fact that Hwy 47 East of Altoona, KS will soon go under construction, but if it was flagged as a route NOT to take, shouldn't the GPS use this route?

Thank you to everyone who is helping solve this mystery.

Thanks!

Bret C

Are you expecting the TT to go east on 47, and then north on 169?

If so, it appears Tomtom has a map bug.

Because 169 moves slightly west at the 47 intersection, Tomtom misinterprets the intersection as a bridge, and the map doesn't think the roads actually cross.

You can report the issue with mapshare, and hopefully Tomtom will fix it in a future map.

Map bug - KS 169

Yes you are correct our TT avoids 169 East of Altoona and 169 North. This is very interesting. I am also curious as to how you determined TT misinterprets a bridge on that location.

Thank you for your help and support. I will report this via mapshare.

Thanks

Bret C

Are you expecting the TT to go east on 47, and then north on 169?

If so, it appears Tomtom has a map bug.

Because 169 moves slightly west at the 47 intersection, Tomtom misinterprets the intersection as a bridge, and the map doesn't think the roads actually cross.

You can report the issue with mapshare, and hopefully Tomtom will fix it in a future map.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also curious as to how you determined TT misinterprets a bridge on that location.

I tried to make it a valid intersection via mapshare. If Tomtom thinks the roads intersect, I would have been able to adjust the valid intersection turns realtime. But browsing that area in mapshare never showed an intersection, that's how I know it's misinterpreted as a bridge.

Ask a Question