How to input address on highway?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I'm a new Go 920T owner, and new to TomTom... a refugee from the Garmin camp. I hope I've got this in the right forum... it seems like a cross-model question:

I'm having trouble entering addresses on several state highways in the area. With my Garmin I was able to enter the road name using just the numeric portion of the name, and the Garmin would find the road, whether it was Route 35, Hwy 27, US 9, etc. This worked about 98% of the time, with exceptions arising when the numeric portion was not a separate "word" in the name, like RT-27. However, with my TomTom, I have a much higher failure rate with this method, and can't seem to find ANY way of entering the road name, short of using its alternate name, like French St, or Broadway. In many of these cases, I either don't know the alternate name, or the alternanate name changes along the length of the highway and I don't know which alternate name to use (if I know any of them at all).

Two specific addresses are:

2864 Route 27
North Brunswick, NJ 08902

and

400 Route 79
Freehold, NJ 07728

When I browse the map to look at these addresses (once I find out where they are), and click on the road, I can see the road names that it is known by, but the highway numbers are always contained in a symbol, with no prefix such as RT, US or Hwy.

When I use Teleatlas' MapInsight to look up the addresses, it is able to find them by entering just the numeric portion, just like I did with the Garmin.

Is the problem that I'm thinking like a (former) Garmin user, or is it something else? Any suggestions on address input would be appreciated.

And, as a new user, I feel obligated to say that I did search quite a bit here and elsewhere before posting.

I'm a new Go 920T owner, and new to TomTom... a refugee from the Garmin camp. I hope I've got this in the right forum... it seems like a cross-model question:

I'm having trouble entering addresses on several state highways in the area. With my Garmin I was able to enter the road name using just the numeric portion of the name, and the Garmin would find the road, whether it was Route 35, Hwy 27, US 9, etc. This worked about 98% of the time, with exceptions arising when the numeric portion was not a separate "word" in the name, like RT-27. However, with my TomTom, I have a much higher failure rate with this method, and can't seem to find ANY way of entering the road name, short of using its alternate name, like French St, or Broadway. In many of these cases, I either don't know the alternate name, or the alternanate name changes along the length of the highway and I don't know which alternate name to use (if I know any of them at all).

Two specific addresses are:

2864 Route 27
North Brunswick, NJ 08902

and

400 Route 79
Freehold, NJ 07728

When I browse the map to look at these addresses (once I find out where they are), and click on the road, I can see the road names that it is known by, but the highway numbers are always contained in a symbol, with no prefix such as RT, US or Hwy.

When I use Teleatlas' MapInsight to look up the addresses, it is able to find them by entering just the numeric portion, just like I did with the Garmin.

Is the problem that I'm thinking like a (former) Garmin user, or is it something else? Any suggestions on address input would be appreciated.

And, as a new user, I feel obligated to say that I did search quite a bit here and elsewhere before posting.

I found the first one, N 40.44202, W 74.53026 it's listed as Lincoln Hwy. Sometimes you have to play around with these a bit. The only place I saw Route 27 listed was in South Brunswick, same ZIP code, then I dragged the map to the right thousand block, and saw that it's named Lincoln Hwy. then I went back, and put in the address as you have it above.

The second one was a bit more tricky, N 40.28354, W 74.26110 this one is listed as "Broadway". I tried my method as above, and came up empty, then I went to Google Maps, and put the address is as you have it listed. On the map, it's called Broadway way. I went back and used that, and it plotted the location at the coordinates above.

I think these issues are more common with roads here in the northeast that date back to the dawn of the republic. They have names, and then the route numbers are added later. The names tend to stick instead of the route number, causing confusion. Oh well, hope this helped you out.

Thanks. I was also able to find both. In the case of the second one, I know where it is, and know the alternate name. In fact, the alternate name is the one used locally. For the first one however, I had to resort to using a POI search, and remarkably, the business I was going to was listed as a POI.

I say remarkably because so far I'm very disappointed with the TomTom POI listings. I'm used to my Garmin, with its millions of POI listings (I'll admit quite a few duplicates). I was amazed to find TomTom's claim that each TomTom comes with thousands of POI (I can't remember where I saw this). But I'm getting off track here.

My main reason for posting my message was to hopefully gain some insight into how to best search for addresses when my destination is in an area that I'm completely unfamiliar with, since I believe this is an issue I will have to deal with repeatedly.

While I can always look on Google Maps if I'm at a computer, I'm hoping to get some ideas on how to deal with this when my only resource is my TomTom.

Thanks. I was also able to find both. In the case of the second one, I know where it is, and know the alternate name. In fact, the alternate name is the one used locally. For the first one however, I had to resort to using a POI search, and remarkably, the business I was going to was listed as a POI.

I say remarkably because so far I'm very disappointed with the TomTom POI listings. I'm used to my Garmin, with its millions of POI listings (I'll admit quite a few duplicates). I was amazed to find TomTom's claim that each TomTom comes with thousands of POI (I can't remember where I saw this). But I'm getting off track here.

My main reason for posting my message was to hopefully gain some insight into how to best search for addresses when my destination is in an area that I'm completely unfamiliar with, since I believe this is an issue I will have to deal with repeatedly.

While I can always look on Google Maps if I'm at a computer, I'm hoping to get some ideas on how to deal with this when my only resource is my TomTom.
Sometimes there's no substitute for local knowledge

Ask a Question