How to get North America 7.1 for One

I have a tomtom one v2 with 2Gb SD card.
Does anyone know how to purchase the North America 7.1 maps?

Home 2.0 only lists USA and Canada 7.1 (even if you uncheck recommended). Home 1.5 only list the older maps. The US tomtom site for map purchases is still offline. I call customer service and they still say that USA and Canada is the same as North America (we know better).

I thought that I would be smart and purchase the maps off the UK site (where they are listed), but during check out they need address/phone information and it only accepts GB addresses/phone#.

Suggestions?

7.10 maps from UK site

I was successful in purchasing the 7.10 USA and Canada maps from the UK site...NOTE: North American Maps ver 7.10 do not exist, from what I have heard only USA and Canada are available now. When I tried to purchase the 7.10 USA and Canada maps from the USA site, it was down "The TomTom Map Store is closed while we're updating and improving it. Our apologies for the inconvenience. Please check back soon!" which has been like this for over 2-3 weeks. Anyway , the only way I could get the map from the UK site was to go to the UK website and "pretend" that I lived in the UK giving them an address that did not exist, BUT, it did work and my AMex was billed instantly (of course) 35GBP or about 69.00CAD (50% off until Jan.1/08) I recieved my invoice and purchase order number, all legit. BUT because I did not have a login on the UK site, so my download was not available in Tomtom Home Ver 2.12, so I had to phone the US site tech support to get them to track down my purchase and then post it on my US login account. This of course took a couple of days for them to do, but they finally managed and I successfully downloaded and installed my 7.10 US and Canada maps. If you do it this way, make sure you talk to someone in "2nd Level Support" as the "winners" in 1st level support are not setup to look into invoices and tracking numbers etc. I am thinking that the US site may not be honoring the 50% off on their site so that is why they are closed down...Hope that is not true...So anyways it is possible to get maps off the UK site.

Its 4.45am and I am not quite awake yet so please bear with me, I just connected my TT v2 with 2gig SD card to TT home v2. something and it offers me the US Can maps 710 edition for purchase with the price in Euros. Price 49.95 Euros. (Approx $72.00 Can at time of post)

But it is available on TT Home. and I live in Canada.

I tried getting them with the TT home Euro price but it started asking for a company invoice and a VAT number...so I opted for the UK website.

You cannot get NA 7.1 for ONE from Home 2.0!
it is not designed for TT 1, but you have to use other TT device to buy it , and then copy to 2G SD for TT1 and get activation code.

Last edited:
Using Celsius' technique, I was able to purchase and download the new US map from TomTom's website (I live in the US). However, I found a way around the need to call support - you just change the username in TomTom Home to the one you setup to purchase the US Map. I was then able to download using Home 2.x...

When I purchased the software, I used all of my correct address information except for the postal code. I just put in a bogus code using their example.

Michelle in Northern IL, USA

Using Celsius' technique, I was able to purchase and download the new US map from TomTom's website (I live in the US). However, I found a way around the need to call support - you just change the username in TomTom Home to the one you setup to purchase the US Map. I was then able to download using Home 2.x...

When I purchased the software, I used all of my correct address information except for the postal code. I just put in a bogus code using their example.

Michelle in Northern IL, USA

Thanks a lot. I was thinking about doing this but was unsure since I wasn't using my real address. I ended up purchasing with my AmEx card without any problems. I created a new e-mail account on the the GB site and purchased the North American 2GB (select GO 720 to get the NA 2GB choice). I signed onto home and ta-da there was the NA 7.1 for download.

It works great in my One v2 (w/ 2GB card); gotta love those details and POIs. I enabled Mapshare and got a few new updates.

BTW - The GB site still has the maps 50% off. 34.95 GB Pounds. - Comes out around 70 or 80 US dollars with VAT (Taxes). I'll post the exact charge when it shows up on my AX CC statement.

Downloading Now

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their comments and help. I too have just purchased the NA 710 map for my TT1v2 and am currently downloading from within the HOME application (to a 2GB SD card). I too just created a new login with a new email address on the UK site and registered with all my real info except zip code - has to be a UK zip code - I just entered a bogus one. Then I signed into my home application using that new email login ID. The map was there under "Update". This is a fantastic method to get the best map on your TT1. Does anyone know...

1) How much of a difference is there really between the US & CAN map and the NA map?

2) Is there anywhere you can see a list of updates from previous map versions?

Thanks a ton. I never joined forums but had to join this one to post my appreciation. I'll post after the d/l is finished (1/2 hour left) just to let everyone know that all is working well. thank you so much!

McFly!

All Done

OK, for those who are looking to get the NA 2GB map on the TT1, it's installed and working well. The hardest part to figure out was that you need more then just the downloaded map files on the SD Card in order for the card to be recognized or you'll get the silly animation of the card coming out of the slot with the red X on it. Basically copy everything except the map files from the internal memory and it should work just fine. Thanks again for all those who contributed to this thread!

New maps

I downloaded the new map through my HOME software without a problem. To make room for the new map, I just deleted the old one. It has been working great, and I have been submitting MANY map corrections!

OK, for those who are looking to get the NA 2GB map on the TT1, it's installed and working well. The hardest part to figure out was that you need more then just the downloaded map files on the SD Card in order for the card to be recognized or you'll get the silly animation of the card coming out of the slot with the red X on it. Basically copy everything except the map files from the internal memory and it should work just fine. Thanks again for all those who contributed to this thread!
I spoke with CS the other day. She mentioned that you can connect the tomtom via USB and format the SD card via windows explorer. This insures that you have a clean card. Disconnect and reconnect your tomtom and launch home. Home update will download the latest app 7.131 for you and if you purchased maps, it will give you the option to download them at the same time.

I found that after I download and installed the app on a clean card that it was best to disconnect USB and start up the tomtom a couple of times. Then I reconnect to home and install anything else I needed.

Make sure you back up before doing this and BTW it doesn't reinstall your startup and shutdown bmp files. You can copy them back over after the clean install.

Question...

I hope this question is in the right place...

So based on the above posts and having to create a new ID on the UK site to get the NA2GB map, when I log onto TT Home and receive mapshare updates, how does it know which map I have? In otherwords, should my TT HOME login info be set to my original login info which has my device as a TT1 and a US and Canada map or my new UK login info which has my device as a TT720 and a NA2G map? Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance for any help.

North America easy a pie!

Got North_America_2GB v710.1584 and it could not have been easier. :)

I followed everyone?s instructions. Used the UK site, made a new login. Said I had a TT720 and selected (the now visible) the North American map. Cost was 34.95GBP or a tad under $72.

After I checked out, I started my One & TT Home, switched to my new (temporary) login and there was my purchase. Downloaded and installed in a snap (OK, a two hour snap).

Very pleased with the result, I do not see the point in buying just the USA/Canada map as it?s no cheaper and does not have as much content.

I even got Map and POI updates on my next logon.:cool:

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!:) :)

For those considering purchasing the NA710 maps off the UK site.

I looked on my CC statement and the 34.95 pounds ended up being $73.09 in US dollars. Prices will vary with conversion rates, but that is what you should expect.

Is there any way to buy a One V3 or BB One LE with the new maps, transfer them to my computer for backup, and then update my V2 One that is 6 months old with the new maps?

Got North_America_2GB v710.1584 and it could not have been easier. :)

I followed everyone?s instructions. Used the UK site, made a new login. Said I had a TT720 and selected (the now visible) the North American map. Cost was 34.95GBP or a tad under $72.

After I checked out, I started my One & TT Home, switched to my new (temporary) login and there was my purchase. Downloaded and installed in a snap (OK, a two hour snap).

Very pleased with the result, I do not see the point in buying just the USA/Canada map as it?s no cheaper and does not have as much content.

I even got Map and POI updates on my next logon.:cool:

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!:) :)

Glad it worked for ya! When you login to HOME now, do you use your original login info or the new info created on the UK site?

That's what I did too. So the question I have is that even though we're logging in with our original info, do we still get the NA map udpates as that map is attached to our other account? I'm not sure if it works that way. Just a thought.

That's what I did too. So the question I have is that even though we're logging in with our original info, do we still get the NA map udpates as that map is attached to our other account? I'm not sure if it works that way. Just a thought.

MapShare updates seem to work, both the map and POI's. It has actually updated twice today. Once for map and POI's the a second time for POI's only.
It does take longer to find updates than when just getting QPS quick fix. I assume it has to look at and compare more files.

Ask a Question