How to get more menu options on models with 'Easymenu'

New here. Just replaced my One XL-S (it died) with a XL-350. Just HATE EasyMenu. Really disappointed with the decrease in functionality. Tried the "New menu" trick. Got a GPS that needed to be "Pin reset". 9.151 and Home 2.8. Tried really hard to follow the instructions. Anybody else have problems with the "New menu" at my levels?

I received an XXL550TM for Christmas instead of the desired 540. I had been using the One 140S. (Great model!)

The feature I miss the most is being able to set an alarm at a fixed speed.

I tried the TomTom.mnu fix but no changes occured. I've done it before way back when I had a OneLE.

Two questions:
Is the new folder name (SDKRegistry) case sensitive?
Has anyone made it work with App 9.151 on the XXL550?

[I have tried a 'pin' reset.]

I
I can't speak for every TomTom version of firmware out there, but it's no surprise that every one I've ever tried (and they ALL operate on a Linux base, notoriously case sensitive) DO require folder case to be correct.

In your case, assuming what you typed above is what you're actually using, you've put in a bunch of caps that ought not to be there.

The folder is "sdkregistry".

It's the other one ("SDKFileCalls") that uses some caps.

sorry. i am a newbie. i just want to know if this tomtom.mnu we're talking about here works on xl350tm. i have one that i bought on boxing week and i want to try it. does anybody tried and working on their xl 350 tm?

I received an XXL550TM for Christmas instead of the desired 540. I had been using the One 140S. (Great model!)

The feature I miss the most is being able to set an alarm at a fixed speed.

I tried the TomTom.mnu fix but no changes occured. I've done it before way back when I had a OneLE.

Two questions:
Has anyone made it work with App 9.151 on the XXL550?

[I have tried a 'pin' reset.]

It works with the 9.151 app just fine.

does anybody tried and working on their xl 350 tm?
You bet. Get those menu options back! Have you also checked firmware level (other sticky adjacent to this one) to see if that alone will buy back whatever you are missing that you would need? Your unit may well be up-to-date in that regard, but it is worth a look.

thanks for the reply. I haven't explore the files in the unit yet but I updated the map. I'll find the details, try the mod and will post the outcome. hope everything will works.

my xl350tm runs on nav. 9.151.
I followed:
Sure thing. Here is my custom menu:

----------- BEGIN TomTom.mnu ------------------
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1| Just a Filler|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2| Navigation|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3| Route|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4| POIs-Favorites|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIGURE_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5| Preferences|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_TOLL|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6| Information|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
-------------------END TomTom.mnu -----------------------------

Just copy this (not including the BEGIN and END statements), paste it into a text file, and save the text file as "TomTom.mnu".

Then, attach your TomTom to your computer and create a directory in the root of the TomTom called "sdkregistry". Place the TomTom.mnu in this directory.

Then, simply disconnect the TomTom and when it reboots it will have the new menus.

To switch back to the original Easy Menu, attach it back to your computer and rename the TomTom.mnu file to something else such as Tom.mnu. The default menus will then load.

This menu works perfectly on my XL350. I have not tested it on anything else, but I assume anything with the EasyMenu should work with this.

I copied the text files using notepad and saved as text files.
but, it didn't works. still with the easy menu. please help.

Did you name the file properly (with just an extension of .mnu, NOT .mnu.txt) AND put it in the sdkregistry folder in the root of the unit?

my xl350tm runs on nav. 9.151.
I followed:

I copied the text files using notepad and saved as text files.

but, it didn't works. still with the easy menu. please help.
First, be certain that the file as it was saved is not accidentally [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]tomtom.mnu.txt. You may have extensions hidden for known file types, and the file could actually be named as above but appear as tomtom.mnu instead. From any open folder window, try

Tools > Folder Options > View > UNCHECK Hide Extensions for Known File Types

Next, be sure that the folder in the root of your unit is correctly named: "sdkregistry", and that the *.mnu file is placed there.

Once you've rebooted after doing the above, there's no way your unit will ignore your new *.mnu file.

[/FONT]

One More Menu Feature Wanted

Has anyone figured out how to get the shut off with power off option for a 550XXL TM? Both my old GO700 and GO720 had this feature, and my GO Live 740 TM has the menu option to select shut down with power off, but my son's 550XXL with "Easy Menu" doesn't offer this and I don't believe that I saw it in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Speed alert XXL550TM

On my GO920 I could set an alert if I exceeded the speed limit.
I have a new XXL550TM now running App 9.161 and Map v860.3121
I have tried the tomtom.mnu but do not see a way to add the speed alert.
Can it be done?
I also now have the option for the Compass preferences but no matter which button I check, after clicking done, it reverts to "None"
I appreciate any help.

Sidney

In page 2 of the main menu, do you not see an icon to enable Safety Alerts/Disable Safety Alerts?

If enabled, you should see Disable....

On Driving View Preferences (do you have that?) on the second page is a choice to show 'Direction'

I have the old menu system back on my XL 350!

I followed the instructions at the following link:

GpsPasSion Forums - [TIP] Enabling POI Alerts on TomTom Start/Ease

Works like a charm. I now have most of the old menu items back and everything seems to work fine.

A couple caveats: If you do a custom menu, there seems to be no way to get the Map Corrections and Help functions back. They seem to be embedded in the new EasyMenu system as code, not as a selectable menu item that can be programmed.

Other than that, I have most of the old functionality back such as Compass, Show Route (all options, text, picture, demo, etc), Manage POIs, Set POI Alerts, etc.

I'm going to leave it this way for now to see how it all works.

This is good news for those of us that have the newer TomToms! You can also choose to change the IQ Routes to the old Shortest Route, Fastest Route, etc. Or, leave it as is using the new IQ Routes.
I would encourage everyone to pester Tomtom regarding the missing functions in the new Easy Menu. I am hoping this response really says they are aware customers are unhappy with the missing functions and are going to do something about it in a coming update.

What do you think?

Tomtom support response to missing Itinerary Planning in XXL 550M below:

Subject (Please be descriptive)
Itinerary Planning

Discussion Thread
Response (ST Ann) 14/02/2011 07.48 PM
Dear Chris,

Thank you for updating the incident.

I understand that you are unhappy with the changes made to the Itinerary Planning. I understand the importance of the issue for you.

I am here assist you and will provide the necessary information in this regard.

I would regret to inform you that this option is currently unavailable on TomTom devices.The new TomTom devices are designed for easy use of customers. Our Senior support is working on the issue and the same should be available for downloads very soon.

I would strongly recommend you to subscribe for the TomTom Newsletter so that whenever any updates are available in this matter, you will be the first one to know about it. If you choose to subscribe for the TomTom Newsletter then please visit the following web page:

Signing up for the TomTom newsletter

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

We will be waiting for your reply. We want you to know that, we will be there for you and we do value you as a customer.

To update your TomTom question (incident) or to reply to this email:
Please log in to your TomTom account using the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/myTomTom/login.php
-Now Click on 'Support'
-Select 'My Questions History'
-Click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'

Note: If the incident is not updated within 72 hours, the incident will move to 'Solved' status to reflect that the provided resolution has been successful for you. The incident will automatically get closed.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom, we believe in showing you the way, the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Ann
TomTom Customer Support
Customer 14/02/2011 06.45 PM
Thank you for responding quickly.

I do understand that the Itinerary Planning function has been left out of the Easy Menu. I also know the device is still capable of this function and that it is a very useful function. The Tomtom forums show how to enable this and other functions by way of adding a custom menu. So it is still there. However this is a poor work around as it disables some of the functions that are currently there.

When the Easy Menu first came out other useful functions were omitted and have been added back via updates.

The itinerary planning function is a positive, helpful, and useful tool.

The XXL 550 is a great gps. Hiding or disabling the Itinerary Planning function only reduces its value.

I don't understand, as well as many of your customers as noted in the forums, why Tomtom would choose to make a product less attractive and less functional when the application is already there.

Not only that, the packaging does not, nor does your product description on your web site state anywhere that functionality has been removed.

Moreover, prior to purchasing the XXL 550 M I downloaded from your web site the TomTom XXL-en-US.pdf support document. The document does not state that the new 550 would have less functionality than the previous 540.

This user manual shows all functionality and details the use of the function Itinerary Planing. I purchased the more expensive XXL 550 over the XXL 540 and guess what. More money less function.

How am I supposed to be ok with that turn of events.

The gps performs great, however I would like to have all of the functionality expected or hear a good reason why it is not there.

I'm sorry, but it should be evident from your customer feedback regarding the missing items that your customers are not happy with the omission of functionality. And I for one would like an answer and resolution.

Thank you,

Chris
Response (ST Ann) 14/02/2011 05.40 PM
Dear Valued TomTom Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Ann and we are always happy to help.

I understand that you are unhappy with the changes made to the Itinerary Planning. I understand the importance of the issue for you.

I would regret to inform you that this option is currently unavailable on TomTom devices.

I would strongly recommend you to subscribe for the TomTom Newsletter so that whenever any updates are available in this matter, you will be the first one to know about it. If you choose to subscribe for the TomTom Newsletter then please visit the following web page:

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

We will be waiting for your reply. We want you to know that, we will be there for you and we do value you as a customer.

-Now Click on 'Support'

Note: If the incident is not updated within 72 hours, the incident will move to 'Solved' status to reflect that the provided resolution has been successful for you. The incident will automatically get closed.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom, we believe in showing you the way, the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Ann
TomTom Customer Support
Auto-Response 14/02/2011 01.13 AM
Title: Application updates overview
Link: Application updates overview

Title: IQ Routes?
Link: IQ Routes?

Title: QuickGPSfix
Link: QuickGPSfix

Title: No maps found
Link: No maps found

Title: Buying new maps
Link: Buying new maps
Customer (Chris Giles) 14/02/2011 01.13 AM
I actually have a TomTom XXL 550 Lifetime Maps

I understand about the easy menu and am very happy with the device, with one exception.

Please please enable the itinerary planning in the next update. I use the tomtom locally and the settings are great for that. However I also do road trips and the lack of itinerary planning is a huge minus. With out the itinerary I have no ability to chose my route stops and destination. It is a very very useful function and I have read on the internet it is in the unit however disabled.

This is a very big very useful tool.

Again, please enable the itinerary planning function in the next update.

Thank you,

Tomtom reply to missing functions

I would encourage everyone to pester Tomtom regarding the missing functions in the new Easy Menu. I am hoping this response really says they are aware customers are unhappy with the missing functions and are going to do something about it in a coming update.

What do you think?

Itinerary Planning

Discussion Thread
Dear Chris,

I would regret to inform you that this option is currently unavailable on TomTom devices.The new TomTom devices are designed for easy use of customers. Our Senior support is working on the issue and the same should be available for downloads very soon.

-Now Click on 'Support'

With Best Regards,

Ann
TomTom Customer Support

I do understand that the Itinerary Planning function has been left out of the Easy Menu. I also know the device is still capable of this function and that it is a very useful function. The Tomtom forums show how to enable this and other functions by way of adding a custom menu. So it is still there. However this is a poor work around as it disables some of the functions that are currently there.

When the Easy Menu first came out other useful functions were omitted and have been added back via updates.

The XXL 550 is a great gps. Hiding or disabling the Itinerary Planning function only reduces its value.

I don't understand, as well as many of your customers as noted in the forums, why Tomtom would choose to make a product less attractive and less functional when the application is already there.

Not only that, the packaging does not, nor does your product description on your web site state anywhere that functionality has been removed.

Moreover, prior to purchasing the XXL 550 M I downloaded from your web site the TomTom XXL-en-US.pdf support document. The document does not state that the new 550 would have less functionality than the previous 540.

This user manual shows all functionality and details the use of the function Itinerary Planing. I purchased the more expensive XXL 550 over the XXL 540 and guess what. More money less function.

The gps performs great, however I would like to have all of the functionality expected or hear a good reason why it is not there.

I'm sorry, but it should be evident from your customer feedback regarding the missing items that your customers are not happy with the omission of functionality. And I for one would like an answer and resolution.

Thank you,

Chris

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Ann and we are always happy to help.

I would regret to inform you that this option is currently unavailable on TomTom devices.

-Now Click on 'Support'

With Best Regards,

Ann
TomTom Customer Support

I understand about the easy menu and am very happy with the device, with one exception.

Please please enable the itinerary planning in the next update. I use the tomtom locally and the settings are great for that. However I also do road trips and the lack of itinerary planning is a huge minus. With out the itinerary I have no ability to chose my route stops and destination. It is a very very useful function and I have read on the internet it is in the unit however disabled.

Thank you,

Add to csgiles70's Reputation

Easy Menus Suck

What do you think?

Itinerary Planning

Discussion Thread
Dear Chris,

-Now Click on 'Support'

With Best Regards,

Ann
TomTom Customer Support

Thank you,

Chris

-Now Click on 'Support'

With Best Regards,

Ann
TomTom Customer Support

Thank you,

Add to csgiles70's Reputation

Hi csgiles,
I agree with you. I also have the XXL550TM with the easy menus. The easy menu is easy, but I would have at least wanted the option to use either one and not be limited to the one TT wants me to use. I also have the XL330S and it had an automatic power off feature that I loved. I am a service tech so I use my GPS daily in my job. When I turn off my key switch on the van it kills the 12volts going to the GPS and the 330 would shut off automaticaly, so I didn't have to sit there and push the off button and wait for it to shut down. Well they left that feature out of the XXL550TM also. Really sucks when you like a feature and then they get rid of it without even asking or takeing a vote. I also have other issues with my XXL550TM as well. I am going to see what the next update fixes and if it's still problem I will no longer be a TT owner.

HamRadioNut :mad:

In page 2 of the main menu, do you not see an icon to enable Safety Alerts/Disable Safety Alerts?

If enabled, you should see Disable....

On Driving View Preferences (do you have that?) on the second page is a choice to show 'Direction'

Thanks DHN, unfortunately soon after you posted, I went for a bike ride and suffered a serious crash fracturing 9 ribs and spending the next 5 days in a trauma center. So, I have not yet had a chance to check your suggestions. My wife was able to use the new XXL550TM to navigate to and from the Trauma Center and said it was great to have. So far, we are really impressed with value for $$$. On sale at Costco for $149. A great deal I thought, with lifetime maps and traffic.
My GO920 has been fantastic and may be repairable but for now, I am happy to have the new one.
You do a great job,
Thanks

Ask a Question