How to format an SD card on a TomTom Carminat?

TomTom Model(s)
Carminat
I use a TomTom Carminat which works just fine. I bought a new SD in order to buy and download further maps, but need to format the card first. How do I do that?

Be aware it must be only standard SD, NOT SDHC according to TomTom.

They also warn vaguely:
Carminat TomTom: We recommend that you only use original Carminat TomTom SD cards. They are optimised for reliability and performance when used with your navigation device. If you do use a different type of SD card you should perform frequent updates.

4GB standard SD cards are very hard to find, but £26.95 for that one from TT themselves is well over-priced!

ALso, this might be relevant:

Before you can install a map on your new memory card you need to insert the memory card in your Carminat TomTom. To set up your new memory card for Carminat TomTom do the following:

1. Insert your new memory card in Carminat TomTom. Then switch on Carminat TomTom.
    You get the error No map found.
  2. Turn off your Carminat TomTom. You can now connect your memory card to HOME using a memory card reader.
  3. Install the latest application to the memory card by clicking Update my Carminat TomTom in HOME.
  4. If you have not yet downloaded your new map it is offered together with the application.
    If you already downloaded your new map to your computer click Add Maps in HOME. Your map is listed with Computer as its location.
  5. Install a voice.
    Click Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc. > Voices in HOME.

Seems like it needs to write one or more files (.bif?) to the card from the Carminat itself, before you can use it with Home and the card reader.

Thanks to you all. Your comments were helpful, TomTom is not.
Pity!

As a mattor of course the Carminat TomTom should accept non- TomTom cards (the price of their original card equals robbery) and SDHC cards. The original SD format is so outdated.

Ask a Question