How to find map version

Hi , just purchased a refurbished TomTom 730, plugged it to my computer with tomtom HOME software installed tried to get updated map it says that device needs to be updated for 4
quarters since I?m new to this, don?t know what does it mean? and if someone could also tell me how do I find out the map version of tomtom 730? Appreciate any help and thanks

Hi , just purchased a refurbished TomTom 730, plugged it to my computer with tomtom HOME software installed tried to get updated map it says that device needs to be updated for 4
quarters since I’m new to this, don’t know what does it mean? and if someone could also tell me how do I find out the map version of tomtom 730? Appreciate any help and thanks
TomTom has gotten a bit fussy about allowing new owners of refurb units to use the "Latest Map Guarantee". At one time, a new refurb owner could get it as easy as someone who had purchased a new unit. They "officially" changed their policy on this a few months ago and finally posted their tougher position on their web site. However, it never hurts to try -- give tech support a call. Who knows, you might even find a sympathetic ear and get a freebie, but it rarely happens these days.

To get the map version, press the satellite bars in the lower right corner of your main screen. On the screen where that takes you, press the small box in the lower right that shows your firmware version number. This will provide you with App 8.*** and your map version will be at the far right end of the line that starts with the word "Map:" ... it will be v8XX.XXXX for a 730.

Let us know what you find for BOTH your firmware and map versions and we'll help you sort out how far from current you are on both, if at all. The advice you get from TomTom Home about downloading a more recent map isn't always true.

Last edited:
Thanks canderson for the infos I will check it out when I take the unit for the first time on the road tomorrow, one more question ;How TomTom knows that a GPS unit is a new or refurb? Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks canderson for the infos I will check it out when I take the unit for the first time on the road tomorrow, one more question ;How TomTom knows that a GPS unit is a new or refurb? Thanks again
By serial number. They track those that have been returned and reshipped as refurbished units.

I recently purchased a refurb and was given the LMG which by the way made me extremely happy with TomTom, so much so that I purchased new maps for one year.

I recently purchased a refurb and was given the LMG which by the way made me extremely happy with TomTom, so much so that I purchased new maps for one year.
Did you receive one of those that included the LMG certificate in the box (e.g., from Radio Shack) or were you out winging it on yours? They'll honor the former without question. Winging it usually requires some serious sweet talking these days!

No certificate was included. One day I was using my laptop and LMG was offered from home so I did the d/l

TomTom has gotten a bit fussy about allowing new owners of refurb units to use the "Latest Map Guarantee". At one time, a new refurb owner could get it as easy as someone who had purchased a new unit. They "officially" changed their policy on this a few months ago and finally posted their tougher position on their web site. However, it never hurts to try -- give tech support a call. Who knows, you might even find a sympathetic ear and get a freebie, but it rarely happens these days.

To get the map version, press the satellite bars in the lower right corner of your main screen. On the screen where that takes you, press the small box in the lower right that shows your firmware version number. This will provide you with App 8.*** and your map version will be at the far right end of the line that starts with the word "Map:" ... it will be v8XX.XXXX for a 730.

Let us know what you find for BOTH your firmware and map versions and we'll help you sort out how far from current you are on both, if at all. The advice you get from TomTom Home about downloading a more recent map isn't always true.

That's awesome advice canderson.

OK this is what I have found out in the unit APP 8.351 MAP v800.1727 based on these numbers if someone could tell me please how old the map is? or does the firmware needs to be updated as well?
and one more thing; I live in Toronto and in the last few days I drove on almost all the highways in and around
greater Toronto area with SHOW LANE IMAGES in the unit ON,I haven't seen any of those highway green signs nor any guidance to change lane in advance of so called feature Advanced Lane Guidance in
TomTom 730, could it be that the unit is defective or is something else? thanks for your help

The map is about 9 months old. Your application (8.351) is up to date. The most recent map is 830.

Okay..........better sit down while you read the following:

There is NO Advanced Lane Guidance or Reality View screens for any Canadian roads in map 830. Nor was there is 820 or 815!

There is IQ routing though for Canadian roads and that proves to be quite good in most cases.

So, just be aware, if you do update your map, you are doing so to get the improved IQ routing that takes into consideration the time of day travel was made, not just the day of the week. This type of routing is often referred to as IQ2 and first was implemented in map version 815, if I remember.

But expect to see ALG? Nope. And it's a bloody shame.

You can call support at 866-486-6866 and complain about this feature not being in Canadian maps. Maybe if more Canucks complain, they may, just may, decide to do something about it.

If you click on the copyright button on your unit, you will see reference to a specific Canadian company providing the mapping data for Canada. The wording is totally misleading in that it implies this company is CURRENTLY providing the mapping.

In fact, TT failed to renew the contract with this company over four years ago! Who knows where they are getting the mapping information for Canada now. And how accurate it is.

Ask a Question