How to enter in "S45 W29290 Hwy 59" in a TT XL?

TomTom Model(s)
XL
So when trying to enter the address "S45 W29290 Hwy 59 in Waukesha WI" I get this stupid screen that says "House numbers not available for this street" I have contact tom tom and after 2 different suggestions which did not work I received no response from them since. My garmin which is now broke used to accept these addresses with no problem. IE W6984 blackhawks Is Rd Fort Atkinson, WI would work as well. I am told these are grid system addresses which I haven't seen anywhere else in the US. Plus even with a map update I am amazed on how many roads or business parks or subdivisions are not on my 2011 TT XL even business parks that are 3 years old! I feel like I wasted my money($100). Please help!

Signed,
hoodwinked!

A local kennel nearby has the address "S40W28178 State Road 59 Waukesha, WI 53189". Good luck entering that in Google Maps where you'll get no more than the digital equivalent of a blank stare.

If Garmin figured out how to make sense of the combination of a grid system overlaid on a redundant street system, more power to them. Who on earth designed the street numbering system up there? By the time you know the N/S and E/W grid location, who needs streets? Get an ordinance map <g>.

A local kennel nearby has the address "S40W28178 State Road 59 Waukesha, WI 53189". Good luck entering that in Google Maps where you'll get no more than the digital equivalent of a blank stare.

If Garmin figured out how to make sense of the combination of a grid system overlaid on a redundant street system, more power to them. Who on earth designed the street numbering system up there? By the time you know the N/S and E/W grid location, who needs streets? Get an ordinance map <g>.

It's waukesha county only the rest of the milwaukee area is normal except out in the other county's it's N6790 hwy 679 for instance. Then if you're in a different part of waukesha county is "N199 W73892 Rivercrest rd"(fake address). Some times for garmin you have to enter it with spaces or no spaces or just W28178 and leave out the S40 part. Yeah stupid i agree that's why I keep an up to date road map in my car as well as the GPS.

Wish I knew something better to suggest. Some mapping systems just don't contain the necessary internal address information. It's possible that TeleAtlas (they make the maps for TomTom) is as clueless as Google, or it's possible that the firmware in your unit can't handle the address scheme, even if it's in the map. I'm betting that it's the map that doesn't contain the information.

I'm also surprised that they call it Hwy 59 out there. Almost all of 59 in your area also has an actual street name of one sort or another (e.g., Genessee). I tried that, but had no better luck.

If you drive to one of the locations with weird addresses and then in your unit go to Help-->Where am I?, take a look at what appears on the screen. It may be an indication on how TomTom stores the address. In other words, what format.

May be a tip as to how you are required to enter addresses.

"S45 W29290 Hwy 59 in Waukesha WI"

Ye Gods!

Makes me glad we have addresses like "1 High Street , Anytown" here in the UK.

Now.... if only my TomTom could understand even that one when I'm trying to use voice control.... :rolleyes:

May be a tip as to how you are required to enter addresses.
Don't think so, David. The unit very clearly reports that it has no street addresses at all for the two roads the OP mentions, and requires that a cross-street be used instead. I don't think that the TeleAtlas maps are capable of embedding this style of address.

Ask a Question