How to: Depart from current destination; and volume

I've just bought a TomTom Start GPS and very good it is too; but I'm having a couple of frustrating problems that I can't find answers to and would be grateful if somebody could help me out.

Firstly, is there a way to get my machine to allow me to leave from my current destination (not my home)? The GPS indicates it knows where I am in the bottom left of the screen, but there doesn't seem to be a way to programme this as my departure point. For example, if I initially programme the GPS to take me from A to B, on the return trip how do I start off from B, without having to enter the address/postcode of B all over again. More importantly, say instead of wanting to leave from B, I want to depart from C, to which I don't have the postcode to hand. Isn't there a way I can tell the GPS to plan a route from C without having to enter the address/ postcode using the keyboard?

Secondly, what's with the volume? Does it always have to be turned on before every journey? Is mute the default setting? Bit annoying if it is; or is my machine not working correctly?

Thanks

Just use the Navigate To funtion and enter your planned destination, you don't need to tell the device where its starting from as thats what the GPS receiver is all about, the unit knows where you are on the planet, it just needs telling where to go - Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm sure I've tried this, without it working; but will try again. It is the logical answer. Maybe I'm not as smart as I like to think I am.

I think I see where I've been going wrong: it is that when the plan route screen comes up, I press the Depart From button, when this is unnecessary. As Mike says, the screen is already prompting me to navigate from where I am and all I need to do is press the Home or Address button to get the directions. Simple, really.

Hi John.

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem. As an add-on, if you want to plan a future trip that will depart from a place where you are not currently, you can use the itinerary planning function..

Good Luck!

JF

Ask a Question