How to connect to a laptop

I've recently bought a GO 7000 Truck - Caravan and Motorhome.

I'm having a few problems with it as POIs are not displaying on the maps.

It was bought to replace an old Garmin 2610, but I can't connect the 7000 to any of my existing programs, like OziExplorer.

At the moment, I have to look up on my laptop the waypoint/POI, then type in the lat/long on the 7000 screen keyboard.

TomTom Home does not work with this GPSr.

Any suggestions?

Shall we concentrate on working out why the POIs are not showing on the map?

Firstly, can you Navigate to a POI? (Navigate to.../ Point of interest / Choose a POI category / select a POI in that category)

If you can do that, then the built-in POIs are still there.

Next, if you go to the Browse map screen and tap the Options button at the bottom you should get a list of items to show on the map - is Points of interest ticked?

Finally, on that same screen, you should have "Choose POIs" at the bottom. If you tap that, you should go to pages where ALL the POI categories are listed and you should be able to tick the ones you want to see on the map.

Does any of that help?

In addition to all of the above, you should be able to load your own POI files onto the device. If you need help with doing that just ask.

Shall we concentrate on working out why the POIs are not showing on the map?

Firstly, can you Navigate to a POI? (Navigate to.../ Point of interest / Choose a POI category / select a POI in that category)

If you can do that, then the built-in POIs are still there.

Next, if you go to the Browse map screen and tap the Options button at the bottom you should get a list of items to show on the map - is Points of interest ticked?

Finally, on that same screen, you should have "Choose POIs" at the bottom. If you tap that, you should go to pages where ALL the POI categories are listed and you should be able to tick the ones you want to see on the map.

Does any of that help?

In addition to all of the above, you should be able to load your own POI files onto the device. If you need help with doing that just ask.

Thanks for helping Andy.

Can you Navigate to a POI?

Yes. I get offered:-
Search POI
Petrol Station
Campsites england
Restaurant
Hotel
or the keyboard dispaly.

Campsites gives, "No POI found". This is a standard POI as supplied with the GO7000.

The others give a list and when I select a petrol station, I get an information display with a map & icon, telephone number etc.

A route is setup, but only one icon appears on the navigation and browse maps. The adjacent petrol station icon does not show. No other icons show.

On the Browse map screen POIs are ticked and selecting the 'POI' button, bottom left, I can scroll down the list of POI files, with many ticked.

But only the Home' icon is displayed. No other icons are visible.

When on holiday, I entered four favourites and their star icons displayed.

I've done a factory reset as advised on another forum, so guess that they've gone.

I've been using GPSrs for over 15 years and they all display waypoint/POI icons.

Some POI files have a list with distance and a name, but no direction, so I need to see those arround me to select one in the general direction I'm going.

I should be able to copy POI files as a drive appears on a connected computer.

I also use an old Psion and have made many .ovr files, so technically I'm OK.

But why wont the icons display? With other GPSrs it's possible to send from a laptop a single waypoint to navigate to. How can I do this.

TomTom Home, does not work with a GO 7000 Truck.

Can you Navigate to a POI?

Yes. I get offered:-
Search POI
Petrol Station
Campsites england
Restaurant
Hotel
or the keyboard dispaly.
Just in case you weren't aware, there's normally a "down arrow" as well. If you tap that the keyboard should disappear and you'll get the first full page of POIs. Further presses of the down arrow should scroll down through the other pages.

Campsites gives, "No POI found". This is a standard POI as supplied with the GO7000.

I have to say "Campsites (England)" sounds a very odd name for a built-in POI category.Are you sure it wasn't a third party one?

A route is setup, but only one icon appears on the navigation and browse maps. The adjacent petrol station icon does not show. No other icons show.

On the Browse map screen POIs are ticked and selecting the 'POI' button, bottom left, I can scroll down the list of POI files, with many ticked.

But only the Home' icon is displayed. No other icons are visible.

That's really weird.I'm still scratching my head on that one.

I should be able to copy POI files as a drive appears on a connected computer.

I'm not actually sure if you've tried adding your own POI categories yet.
Do you know the "Tyre" program? (Download it from here: Tyre)

Install that, (it's a great program) and as an experiment, use it to make a small POI file of just a few locations. Save as .ov2 format and put the files into the folder with the name of your map (North America or whatever yours is called).

The only niggle is that Tyre doesn't create an icon, so you'll either have to make one yourself or put up with the "red square" display for now.

Do those show up?

Ask a Question