How to check Map version

Bob,

When you start up the TomTom you will see at the bottom left of the screen a bunch of bars...this is your GPS signal status. Press there.

Once that is done you will see at the lower right a "version" square with a version number on this. Press there.

Once you have done that you will get a screen that gives you a bunch of information about what your version is, map edition, etc.....

Here is a link from the TT website....I know it is for checking your device code but below that you will see your map edition. What edition does yours say???

http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=232&Language=4&FID=2168

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm completely new to this! :) I've been doing a ton of research for the past month and have been debating (heavily) between the Magellan 4000, Nuvi 200, and the One.

I finally spent an hour at the local Circuit City to play with all three units and despite the One's bad rep on its routing engine I'm 98% sure I'll get the One as I love the interface and the navigating screen is to my preference. At least it recognizes my home address whereas the other two didn't (6 year old sub division).

Anyway, I checked their unopened stock and it's the "v4" version, the one with 1GB internal memory and no card.

I *THINK* the unit on display is also this but I'm not sure. There appears to be a card in the slot but I couldn't get it out. Now comes the question. While playing around I noticed that the map version is 6.50.....

Should I be concerned that if I were to get one, it would come with such an "old" version? Or is v6.50.... nearly an impossible combo with a "v4" unit?

CC charges a 15% restocking fee so once I open it, it's mine. Buy from another vendor? Well, I have $150 in CC gift certificates that will expire soon and thus my wanting to get a GPS. :D

This has always been a concern of mine on buying ANY GPS units, the store/merchant's stock "freshness" since map upgrades are not free. (I think manufacturers should include a one time free update with every unit!)

Thanks and hoping to be a "card carrying member" soon. :)

M_K. from everything we are hearing, map version 6.50 is better than the more recent v6.65. So if you can get a unit with the 'older' version, then all the better, I say.

(Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to constantly shell out money to have the latest map. Especially if you are navigating mostly to older established areas.)

The "v4" firmware will handle 6.50 maps and forward. No problem.

Should I be concerned that if I were to get one, it would come with such an "old" version? Or is v6.50.... nearly an impossible combo with a "v4" unit?

The "v4" firmware will work with 6.50 (and maybe older) maps. You will be given the opportunity to download the latest 6.65 maps when you register your TT1. No charge. The jury isn't in yet whether the 6.65 maps are an upgrade or a downgrade. Be sure to make a good backup of the maps that were included with your TT1. You may want to revert back if you discover that the 6.65 maps are no good for you.

Thanks for the info Jimbo and Wiley. It never occurred to me that I can back things up and preserve the old version that I can reload if the new version is worse. Good point!

So my 98% is now 99.5%. :D

Well guys, I finally did it tonight. Went to the local Circuit City with 1 discount coupon (10% courtesy of AAA), 3 gift cards (courtesy of my company), and my credit card. Came home with the One, "v3" - serial number starts with a "z" and no SD card.

I must say, this thing is pretty awesome. Took about less than 2 minutes to find 6 satellites and I was inside my house. BTW, how many should you find to be consider a "good signal"?

Anyway, I held my breath and powered up the unit to see what version I have with all this debate about maps version. Well....it's 6.56. :) Given what you folks have told me I think I'll stick with this until I have a need to upgrade to 6.65.

Haven't done anything with the accompanied software so I'll do a full backup once I get Home installed.

Thanks to all who have posted in the past as I was a heavy lurker to gather info before making the big purchase. The user interface is the best out there in my opinion (after playing with the Nuvi 200 and Magellan 4000 for an hour at the store).

This is going to be fun! :D

Well guys, I finally did it tonight. Went to the local Circuit City with 1 discount coupon (10% courtesy of AAA), 3 gift cards (courtesy of my company), and my credit card. Came home with the One, "v3" - serial number starts with a "z" and no SD card.

I must say, this thing is pretty awesome. Took about less than 2 minutes to find 6 satellites and I was inside my house. BTW, how many should you find to be consider a "good signal"?

Anyway, I held my breath and powered up the unit to see what version I have with all this debate about maps version. Well....it's 6.56. :) Given what you folks have told me I think I'll stick with this until I have a need to upgrade to 6.65.

Haven't done anything with the accompanied software so I'll do a full backup once I get Home installed.

Thanks to all who have posted in the past as I was a heavy lurker to gather info before making the big purchase. The user interface is the best out there in my opinion (after playing with the Nuvi 200 and Magellan 4000 for an hour at the store).

This is going to be fun! :D

I think you'll enjoy the TT1 because of its sleek design and compactness. I sure do :D

M-K, the v6.56 you saw is most likely the firmware version, not the map. I don't believe that there has ever been a map with that version number.

Did you do the following: Tap the main screen where the satelite bars are, then tap a second time where the box that says 'Version ...'. This will take you to an entire screen of info where the map version is shown.

Jimbo,

Damn, you're right! 6.560 is the firmware version. MAPS version says 665.1293. Now I'm bummed......or should I be????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I tried it the first time for routing to work this morning is was dead on. It even knew the street that was inside the campus (I work for a major pharma company with a huge campus - guard gated so they are private streets).

Jimbo,

Damn, you're right! 6.560 is the firmware version. MAPS version says 665.1293. Now I'm bummed......or should I be????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I tried it the first time for routing to work this morning is was dead on. It even knew the street that was inside the campus (I work for a major pharma company with a huge campus - guard gated so they are private streets).

M_K,

Don't be too concerned that you've got the 6.65 maps. I've done some testing and discovered that the latest firmware version - 6.56, is the primary cause of routing errors in my region. I reloaded my original 6.50 firmware version and the errors with the 6.65 maps were resolved. Unfortunately, the 6.50 firmware does not support the QuickFix feature. In my case, I have to decide if I want accurate routing or fast satellite syncing - I can't have both at this time.

If and when you start experiencing strange routing, be sure to give some feedback to TomTom. TomTom develops and maintains the firmware, whereas Tele Atlas provides the maps that TomTom deploys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Wiley. I did see your other thread about v6.56. If and when I encounter something weird I'll post in the forums and send feedback to Tomtom.

I don't know if I will encounter anything in this area of the country (NYC and the suburbs). We don't have room for houses let along new roads! :D

Ask a Question