How to Change Voice to Metric Voice

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
I have a One XL. I have it set to kilometres (live in Canada) but the voice that speaks tells me to turn in 200 YARDS. How do I get a voice that tells me to turn in METRES? My TT is not capable of computerized voices so I only have the usual ones available. Surely there is a voice that speaks in metric and not Imperial?

What language are you using? English_US or English_UK?

Also, when you connect to Home, can you not add additional voices? Set the filter to 'all' if 'default' doesn't appear to offer English speakers of metric.

And what map are you using? What voice?

I'm slightly confused here, because every "standard" voice I've used on a TomTom has simply automatically switched between saying yards and miles or metres and kilometres, as soon as I switch between imperial or metric units in the preferences menu.

That sort of implies that maybe you aren't using a voice provided by TomTom, but a third-party one, where they may not have bothered to add the metric words when they recorded it.

Alternatively, TomTom may do the US voices differently (working on the assumption that no American owner would ever want or understand metric measurements! :rolleyes:)

I don't have any US voices installed currently on my XL, but I'll install some tonight and double-check they all switch over OK.

As dhn says, the first step is for you to give us some more info about the actual voices you've tried so far.

I have the same experience, Andy. Selecting English_US as my language AND kilometres as the units does the job on all devices I have here.

Ask a Question