How to Change TOMTOM one battery

My tomtom one le is giving up on battery. Battery lasts for 1 hour with full charge. Where can find step-by-step tutorial changing the battery for tomtom one? Help is much appreciated.

Have never found a write-up. But, the replacement batteries I've seen for the TomTom V2 (which should be the same as your LE uses) look very similar to batteries that come with a cordless phone you use in the house.

You just need to remove the 4 torque screws on the back of the TomTom and unplug the internal battery and plug in the new one.......doesn't appear to be any soldering involved.

hmmmm....could be wrong, but I've not seen any cordless phone batteries that are lithium. maybe all my cordless are as old as I am. :) but they all take nicad or nimh.

I have seen photos of the inside of a tomtom, but don't remember where. the battery is a lithium and is hard wired into the unit. definitely not a plug in.

that said, it'd probably be pretty easy to solder one in if you could find one that would fit.

I don't have much experience in batteries... I have the XL-S and the batteries are Li-ion and have a rather low life as opposed to the topend models that use Li-Polymer that last 5 hours. Coud one put the Li-Polymer battery in the XL-S if the same voltage? The RadioShack site does not mention the physical size of those batteries but have seen Li-Polymer batteries similar priced to Li-ion with the same 3.7V and wonder if, when the time comes, I could benefit from a longer battery life.

There is one important consideration - and that's the charger. Will the charger inside the GPS recharge Li-Polymer batteries? For example, a Ni-Cad charger will not recharge Ni-MH batteries.
So aside from ensuring the physical size is compatible, you'd need a higher rated mAh battery (XL-S is 1150mAh, I believe), ensure that the voltage is correct and make sure that the charger inside the unit is capable of charging the battery type you're looking to put in there.
I have frequently bought batteries from this site. They've got a bloody tonne of information on their site, and I'm sure they'd be able to answer any questions you have...
Direct link to li-ion\li-poly batteries:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=173

Replacement battery

I'd feel safer with a battery from Tom Tom, does any one know if they sell replacement batteries, or do they expect you to spend more money on a more expensive model?:rolleyes:

MegaCapacity.com Tomtom One Battery

Somebody provided link above for megacapacity.com but it does not work anylonger, I searched the site and found this: http://www.megacapacity.com/23930.html

No soldering required just open it, take the old battery out , put new one in connect the plug and u r good to go. I ve been using the new battery for a couple of weeks now and so far no problems. I also noticed that they have extended battery for a couple of extra bucks but no picture listed.

This should do it. Worked for me.

According to TOMTOM, I have a version 4, but I'll bet removing the battery is the same for all of the ONE versions. I just did it and it was pretty easy:

TAKE YOUR TIME

1) Very first thing, make sure it's off and remove the SD card.

2) Remove the 4 TORX screws from the back.

3) Starting on the top where the silver plastic meets the dark grey plastic, using your thumb nail(s), or something NON-METALLIC so you don't damage the plastic, force your thumb nail(s) between the silver and grey plastic. Shouldn't be very hard to do.

4) Once you get that started, work your way down the sides. By this time, you should have about half an inch or so separating the top seams. Still using your thumb nail(s), separate the bottom. BE CAREFUL NOT TO PULL THE 2 HALVES APART VIOLENTLY. There are 2 connectors inside. 1 for the battery and 1 for the speaker. The speaker and battery are mounted to the rear section. Everything else is mounted to the front.

5) Gently disconnect the battery and speaker from their connections on the circuit board. You should be able to do this with your thumb nail and fore-finger (or whatever finger(s) you feel comfortable using).

6) Once you get those disconnected, you have 2 seperate halves. The battery is the rectangular item on the back half and is mounted to the back with a very sticky pad or cushion. Slowly and gently, using a screwdriver on the edge closest to the bottom, pry the battery out. Take your time with this. It will start to come out. Then work your way to the top. When I got mine out, 99% of the sticky pad remained in the rear shell so I should be able to re-use it. If not, you'll have to use something that will hold it in place.

7) Reverse the procedure to install a new battery and close the case. I think the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO TAKE YOUR TIME. DON'T RUSH.
Good luck!

Picture to reference the above post.

Open the picture to see what the back half looks like and where to start prying out the battery.

Attachments

• tomtom.JPG
    tomtom.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 2,061
TOMTOM 920T Battery Replacement

My tomtom one le is giving up on battery. Battery lasts for 1 hour with full charge. Where can find step-by-step tutorial changing the battery for tomtom one? Help is much appreciated.

:cool:
Took a while looking for these steps on the web without luck so I took a chance and carefully change it myself following the steps below. I guess the hardest part was to figure out the screen came out first. Here it is...
1) Took out both torx screws on the back. Easy :)
2) Carefully remove front screen (top first) IMPORTANT: Watch the flat cable which connect the logic board to the touch screen.
3) Removed the screen flat cable and the mic connector with extreme caution using a plastic flat screwdriver.
4) Removed the 4 torx screws at each corner of the board.
5) Separated the logic board (top first) and removed speaker connector.
6) Using the plastic flat screwdriver, separated the glued original battery from the logic board.
7) Glued the new battery to the logic board using an acid free glue.
8) Re-assembled TOMTOM and power-on was successful.

Good luck with your project!:)

Great! but how to do this fobut

Uh.....there is a 'sticky' by canderson. Go here for it and see the link to his document, with pictures!

Battery Replacement

Replacing the tomtom1 battery has its challenges.
I bought a replacement battery from RadioShack, catalog number 55026605 for $26 + S&H. It's manufactured by Dantona, model PDA-192LI.
You will also need a T8 torx driver. I purchased a mulit-function driver from my local hardware store (Lowes) manufactured by General, known as the "UltraTech Tool System" for about $18.
Disassembly:
1. Remove the SD chip from the device.
2. Remove the four T8 screws from the rear of the tomtom1.
3. Read though this step in its entirety... this is important reference information.
A. The tomtom1 unit is going to separate into two pieces, the front part (FP) is silver and the back part (BP) is dark grey.
B. The FP contains 98% of the electronics and the screen.
C. The BP hosts the speaker and battery.
D. The speaker and battery are connected to the FP via wire and miniture connectors.
E. You will note that the external antenna connector (BP, upper right corner) is flush with the BP surface.
F. You will also note that the miniture D-connector on the unit (BP, bottom) is also flush with the BP surface.
G. The BP is not removed by applying forces perpendicular to the face of the FP, rather the BP and FP are separated at the top and then the FP is lifted upward with respect to the BP.
4. Now that you have read all the steps in "3" above, separate the unit at the top about 5-10mm, ensure the sides of the BP clear the FP and then lift the FP away from the BP at an angle.
5. It is easier to manage the next steps if you disconnect the wires that link the the FP to the BP.
6. The battery is held in place by adhesive. Removing the battery is, IMHO, the most challenging part of this exercise. The original battery has a shrink-wrapped outer jacket (shiny black in color), and is held in place by a double-sided adhesive tape. I used a box-cutter to cut an incision along the corner of the jacket and then "popped" the battery out of the shrink-wrap. I then used a pair of pliers to grab the shrink-wrap and "tear" is away from the adhesive material. I removed the adhesive tape by scrapping it away with a bamboo skewer from the kitchen. Exercise caution and patience with the box-cutter, restricting your cut to only the shrink-wrap. Remember, a battery contains chemicals and you do not want them getting outside of the designed container.
7. Following successful removal, I put my new battery in the unit, and used a small dab of rubber cement to hold it in place.
As you can read, this procedure is very similiar to others that have been written in this thread. :)

Last edited:
found a battery

Just found this year-old-ish thread as I was searching for a way to replace my tomtom One 3rd edition battery. The unit lasts 5 minutes at most off of the charger, and the company has told me via email and telephone that I am S.O.L...they say that the battery "can't be changed", and when I told them I've seen p hotos of people doing it online they did not have an answer. All I wanted was to buy a battery from them but they were no help.

Anyway I found a site that sells replacement GPS batteries: Batteries: Laptop Batteries, Battery Chargers & more - BatteryMart.com, and I opened my unit, and it was soooooooooooo easy to replace the battery with their model PDA-192LI which is 1200mAh instead of the 1100mAh listed on the factory-installed battery, but from what I can tell that is OK. The GPS works fine now, battery stays charged for a long long time.

I am not a fan of TomTom, and I would not ever buy one of their units again. I bought my wife a Garmin Nuvi which has much more accurate maps and I hope has a bettery battery life.

Hope this helps

Ask a Question