How to Change Rotary to Roundabout

TomTom Model(s)
GO720
My previous GO-910 used the word Roundabout with the voices and since upgrading to a GO-720 this has changed to Rotary. I am quite happy using Kate or Simon but just want them to use roundabout instead of Rotary.

Terry ( Gold Coast Australia)

Terrys,

Do all the voices use 'rotary' instead of 'roundabout'

Suggestion from a non TomTom owning user (mine is on PDA), Can you copy the original voice files from your old TomTom to your new one.

There is an Australian voice that does use 'roundabout' - it is the humourous one with a HAM radio (you get the 'Over' at the end followed by a crackle on the radio). Funny for us in the northern hemisphere but maybe not for you guys. If you want details of the voice then email me.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Have found and fixed my problem. During setup I choose US english instead of UK english.
Amercians must use the word rotary.

Have found and fixed my problem. During setup I choose US english instead of UK english.
Amercians must use the word rotary.

That's funny, because I was recently in Baltimore, and my TomTom said to go around the rotary. I assumed it was Brit speak, because we call it a round-about. Since TomTom calls a hiway a motorway, I figured, yeah, that's it, it's not using US English. I use Mandy, who is US English. :confused::D

You have to change the language tab in Preferences to be UK. It dosent matter what voice you have chosen.

That's funny, because I was recently in Baltimore, and my TomTom said to go around the rotary. I assumed it was Brit speak, because we call it a round-about. Since TomTom calls a hiway a motorway, I figured, yeah, that's it, it's not using US English. I use Mandy, who is US English. :confused::D

I guess the usage is state-specific. Shows the melting pot that we are in the US. In Massachusetts, we call it Rotary (I think we have more rotaries per square mile than anywhere else).

Another regional word is Freeway - it's predominantly a West Coast term. On the east cost we call it "Highway".

Anyone know if there is a way to edit/tweak the Language packs? I have a few fixes I'd like to put in if I could. (change the British "go straight on" to the American "go straight ahead").

A member has made a voice editor for the Vocalizer computer voices, but not the Loquendo type. See here for the thread and link.

I guess the usage is state-specific. Shows the melting pot that we are in the US. In Massachusetts, we call it Rotary (I think we have more rotaries per square mile than anywhere else).

Another regional word is Freeway - it's predominantly a West Coast term. On the east cost we call it "Highway".

Anyone know if there is a way to edit/tweak the Language packs? I have a few fixes I'd like to put in if I could. (change the British "go straight on" to the American "go straight ahead").

We call them "Circles" here in NJ. And since people don't know how to enter/exit them, the state is removing them as quick as money allows.
:D

Taking the thread off topic (but Terrys has found the answer to his question) - Roundabouts (Rotaries, Circles, call them what you will.) This is a beauty of one in Swindon (Wiltshire, England). If you have UK or Western Europe maps then the coordinates are 51.56285N, 1.77147W. Or have a look at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon) or Google 'Magic Roundabout Swindon' to see what this one looks like.
Personally I have never used TomTom at this roundabout but I bet it is fun.:)

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Ask a Question