How to change a map on Start2?

I have a Start2 and I have two maps: United_States_2GB and Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB

I have backed up both maps using Home and I can see them both in the backup on my computer hard drive. I now want to change the current map in my TomTom, which is the US map, for the Europe map that is sitting in the folder on my hard drive. Surely I should be able to easily (a) remove the US map and (b) restore the Europe map using Home? I can see how to do (a) as I can go to 'Manage my Start' and then select the US map and click on 'Remove items from device' but how can I do (b)? If click on the Items on Computer tab (where I can see both maps) surely I should be able to do something like 'Copy to Device' after selecting the Europe map? Instead all I can see is 'Remove items from computer' which presumably means delete them and which I don't want to do!

Incidentally if I click on 'Read the manual for my Start' in Home I get 'Page not found' (yes, I am connected to the internet).

Lawrence

Welcome to TTF!

Assuming both maps are legitimately obtained (in other words, the second map not included with the device was purchased from TomTom), then.......

Use Explorer (NOT Home) to copy the existing map folder to the computer. Once you are sure the backed up map folder is on the computer, then delete the map folder from the unit.

Then, use Home to Add Maps and follow through to the listing for the newly purchased map which Home should list as being on the computer. Select install.

Both maps were legitimately obtained, the first (Europe) came with the Start2 and the US map was purchased online from the TomTom web site. I'm now at the office but will try what you suggest when I get home this evening. Thanks for the quick response.

Lawrence

And, when you return from the States, just reverse the process......

namely, move the US folder to the computer and use Explorer to copy back the Western_Europe map folder.

Yes, that works, thanks. However I do have a couple of comments:

(a) Surely this process should be possible using TomTom Home rather than something as cumbersome as Explorer? I mean, not everyone is confident enough using Explorer to do this for themselves...

(b) As mentioned before, the manual in Home is not accessible, which does not give me a very positive impression of TT.

Lawrence

Home "should" be capable of performing a map switch but to be honest you are far safer using Windows Explorer - Mike

Ask a Question