How to Backup original SD card & map Not Found

What is the best way to backup the original SD card?

I have mac or PC, so can use either

This 'may' be a card problem, I am not sure yet, but was wondering if this was caused by how I have done this.
I created a backup of the Rider v2 using Home on the Mac.

I then did a Restore to the Rider...but with a different 2GB SD card. Yes SD card not SDHC. When I put the card in the Rider, it accepts the card fine, it does not give the red cross and tell you the card is un suitable.

The Restore worked fine, but when re booting the Rider, I get the No Map Found Message.

Does that sound like a card issue? or a backup/restore problem

Can I backup the original card just by using Mac Finder or Win Explorer? say in a card reader rather than the Rider itself?

Another thought...can I just copy the contents of the backup folder from HOME directly to the new card? or is there data that HOME does not copy?

OK, a lot of questions, Hope I get all answered, but a few will make me happy

Thanks

Neil

Use Windows Explorer to back up your SD card. Just create a new file and copy from the appropriate drive (your Rider).

I have done that and made an extra copy of my card, which works just fine in my R2.

Cheers

Ok, that is good to know. I was worried that there may be other system files that would not get copied. I am not referring to hidden files, but SD/Rider equivalent stuff to Boot sectors, MBR's etc.

What about the Backup folder as saved by TT Home? can that also just be copied back to an SD card? or will you have to use TT Home to restore that?

Has Home updated anything at all since you got the device? I am thinking about the application rather than a map folder etc? - Mike

Yes, it has updated the app.

I still do have the very first backup I made, I copied that across to another folder before i did any updates or anything.

I did find a blank card and put it in the Rider. I tried to do a Restore from the original backup, but it says, This operation (Restore) is not supported by the device.

I copied all the files over from the backup folder manually using Mac Finder and then re started the Rider.

But still No map Found...but the restore function now works.

I tried a restore from the original Backup, and it completes successfully...but still get the No Map Found issue.

I notice that on the 'problem' SD card that there is a folder missing..called 'maps' in this there is only one item, a file called Western_Europe.tlv. SO I copied that file from a Mac Disk Image of the SD card, but still get the same message about no map...although the full map folder with 1600+mb of map files are still there.

Where did you purchase the Rider from as I have seen this sort of behaviour from devices when they are loaded with hacked maps along with a hacked application, when the Navcore application gets updated it cannot see the map as the activation codes are wrong - Mike

Bought On line from handtec.co.uk....brand new in sealed box...all looked very much unopened.

Just to point out, I am doing this on a second card....I want to create a backup....befroe the new card (eventually ) corrupts. My original card still works

I did see one of the other threads about a a meta.dct file so will have a look at that again. but not now

It is now 0620 Sunday morning and just replying to this before we go out on a Sunday morning ride round the island (Jersey) We dont leave till 0800, but the girlfriend is coming along this morning pillion, and typical woman, takes ages to get ready,

Can I use a USB card reader to access the card? or does all the work have to be done through the TTR

Edit. The GF is still in the bathroom so I have continued tinkering Just realised the printer has a USB 2.0 card reader, so tried that, and it works, and reads the card...my old SD card reader just would not read it . As soon as I plugged the backup card into the USB, TT Home pops up and the Tools/Latest Map Guarantee activates and allows me to download the new copy of the map.
So now before I go any further, I am taking a disk image (iso and dmg) and then I will try the Latest Map Guarantee download. and then put that card back in the TTR

I want to get to a point that if I loose/crash the original card I can create a new one from a blank card

Last edited:
Well that seemed to work..once the Tools/Lateset map Guarantee check and download completed I now have the second card working. At least now I feel safe knowing that I can backup/restore the card for future problems

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, use Windows Explorer for your backups rather than Home as its far more reliable, I hope you enjoyed the ride out around the island earlier - lovely part of the World you live in - Mike

And thank your GF for taking so long in the bathroom that you had time to get it all working! :)

...We had to wait for her at each stop we made also...to do the jacket up, but the gloves on....take the gloves off, put her helmet back on ...gloves....etc etc

Just trying to order a TopRam 4Gb SD card...Amazon won't send them from USA, and I can't seem to find them on e-bay....the transcend ones seem very expensive...?70.00 or so

Ask a Question