How many voices can be added....????

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One V4
I just got a new TT One (don't know what version) a few days ago. I was just wondering how many of these voices can be added total?

Also, I want to know if this is the way to install them on my unit.

I plug the TT into my USB port. Turn on the TT and select Yes to connect to computer. Now, through Windows Explorer, this will show like another hard drive. I find the Voices folder. Then drag the 3 unzipped voice files that I saved in a different folder on my C Drive one at a time into the TT's Voices folder. Then turn off, and disconnect from USB. Power up the TT again, and the voices will be there when I go to change Voices.

Is this correct? Is it that easy? If so, can I do more than the 3 files per voice, in one session? OR, do I have to do these one voice at a time?

While I'm asking, how do I know what TT One "version" I have. It's black, with silver edge around screen and top, with an SD slot on the bottom, and external antenna jack on top right on the back. Or else, how would I tell? Ser.# maybe?

Thanks for your help.....:)

Last edited:
Software

There should be a cd for TT home.. this application will help you and move and delete voices and maps.....

I can't get my PC to read the TT when plugged in USB. My OS is Windows ME. Is this my problem...??? Need help..! Please.

Thanks

I don't know what a thumb drive is.....LOL I have used gamming joysticks, wheels, etc. The divice is showing on my bottom right where Quick Launch programs icons are, and the Volume & Clock is. It also gives me an error message when I unplug the TT saying: You must close or sut down divice before disconecting.

I don't know. I've had problems running programs that are newer. I guess I need to get an up to date PC. Just can't for a while due to (lack of) funds. I bought the TT because I start a new job that requires driving from office to office, so I figured it would come in handy. Now, I see the stuff you can do with the TT like changing/adding voices, POIs, splash screens, etc., and want to make changes.

BTW, In my first post above, are the voices changes installed the way I described? Maybe it's worth a trip to my friends place and try it there on his PC. I could put the files on a disc, and try to do it there maybe. See if that works.

Thanks again....:)

You're getting close - if your PC gave you a warning when you unhooked the device, it definitely recognizes it and you don't need to worry about getting a new PC just yet:)

Now, to answer your question about the way to add voices.

Plug in device to PC
Hit "yes" on TomTom to connect to computer.
(If TomTom HOME opens, just close it)
Go to 'MyComputer' from the 'Start' menu on your PC
Locate the TomTom icon - will have a drive letter associated with it (like 'G:' or similar)
Double click the icon - you are now browsing your TomTom
Locate 'voices' folder
Double click it.
You should see a bunch of files labeled "data06" with file extensions like .vif, .chk, .bmp - these are the 3 files necessary for each voice to function.

Now, to answer your question specifically - you can drag and drop as many files as you want in any one transfer, but remember you need all 3 files for each voice. So, to get all of the necessary files over to your device, the number of files you transfer will need to be a multiple of 3.
EXAMPLE:
1 voice - you're dragging 3 files
2 voices - you're dragging 6 files
etc.

So, wherever the files are on your PC, select (all at once or indiv.)the three for whichever voice you want to transfer, and drop them into the 'voices' folder on your TomTom.

TO FINISH INSTALLATION: go back to the TomTom icon in 'MyComputer', right click, select 'Eject', the icon will disappear, you'll see your TomTom reboot, then you just need to select the voice to use on your device. To do that:

Tap center of screen
Select Change Preferences
Scroll till you see Change Voice
Select Change Voice
Use scroll arrow on the side of the screen till you find the voice you want.
Select voice

PRESTO!!!

V01C3DUD3,

Thanks, I got it on how to load the voices. Pretty basic/simple. Thanks for explaining. Now it's clear to me...:)

It's just the TT still doesn't show in My Computer, with any of the drives even though it's recognized on the tool bar where running programs are listed......:confused:

Is there a way I can make it point to the TT for sure.?

V01C3DUD3,

Thanks, I got it on how to load the voices. Pretty basic/simple. Thanks for explaining. Now it's clear to me...:)

It's just the TT still doesn't show in My Computer, with any of the drives even though it's recognized on the tool bar where running programs are listed......:confused:

Is there a way I can make it point to the TT for sure.?

This is very strange, indeed. Have you tried refreshing the "MyComputer" window? Open MyComputer and hit F5. You should see it refresh. Whether or not it will show the icon after is anyone's guess...

Yeah, I GOT IT....!!!! Finally. :D

What I did was restart my PC with the TT plugged in and on. On reboot, the PC now shows it as a G drive. I did the voices and everything works great. Now I can customize this thing....:D

Thanks V01C3DUD3, you've been a big help...:)

thanks

You're getting close - if your PC gave you a warning when you unhooked the device, it definitely recognizes it and you don't need to worry about getting a new PC just yet:)

Now, to answer your question about the way to add voices.

Plug in device to PC
Hit "yes" on TomTom to connect to computer.
(If TomTom HOME opens, just close it)
Go to 'MyComputer' from the 'Start' menu on your PC
Locate the TomTom icon - will have a drive letter associated with it (like 'G:' or similar)
Double click the icon - you are now browsing your TomTom
Locate 'voices' folder
Double click it.
You should see a bunch of files labeled "data06" with file extensions like .vif, .chk, .bmp - these are the 3 files necessary for each voice to function.

Now, to answer your question specifically - you can drag and drop as many files as you want in any one transfer, but remember you need all 3 files for each voice. So, to get all of the necessary files over to your device, the number of files you transfer will need to be a multiple of 3.
EXAMPLE:
1 voice - you're dragging 3 files
2 voices - you're dragging 6 files
etc.

So, wherever the files are on your PC, select (all at once or indiv.)the three for whichever voice you want to transfer, and drop them into the 'voices' folder on your TomTom.

TO FINISH INSTALLATION: go back to the TomTom icon in 'MyComputer', right click, select 'Eject', the icon will disappear, you'll see your TomTom reboot, then you just need to select the voice to use on your device. To do that:

Tap center of screen
Select Change Preferences
Scroll till you see Change Voice
Select Change Voice
Use scroll arrow on the side of the screen till you find the voice you want.
Select voice

PRESTO!!!

thanks - this was most helpful :)

Ask a Question