How long do you charge on the computer USB cable ?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One Third Edition
I have been leaving my TomTom One Third Edition GPS Nav device on my computer's
USB cable for several hours.

Knowing about rechargable batteries (RC Model Airplanes and houshold devices), I am
concerned about overcharging the batteries in the TomTom (Lithium).

How long should I leave it there?

How many millamps does it draw from my computer?

Does that tax the computer's power supply?

DoctorBill

4 hours with the unit off is enough to fully charge it.

I am sure it only draws a few MA.

Never measured the current myself. But it cannot be much.

One thing to keep in mind though is that when charging it via the USB cable, it can tend to take a significantly longer amount of time than if you were to do it with the standard car charger. 4 hours may not be long enough to charge it via USB. Hopefully Birdman, or one of the other very knowledgeable people on this board, can jump in and give their opinion.

Its enough (as long as its off) is plenty of time...for USB... The OEM 120V AC charger is the same voltage and current as a USB output.

The manual states 4 hours, is the maximum time needed to recharge the unit, and NOT to leave it plugged in for more then that.

has 1200 mAh internal Lithium ion battery. Its similar to your cell phone battery or (smaller) laptop battery. It has hardware and software that control how and when it charges. It is idiot proof. Just plug it in and let it do the work. You cannot over-charge it.

My XL-S I charge it 2h then I umplug. But it is not a big deal, cause I alway's bring the cigarette lighter with me.:D Batt can't least more than 2h on XLS

If only the updates were "idiot proof"...

has 1200 mAh internal Lithium ion battery. Its similar to your cell phone battery or (smaller) laptop battery. It has hardware and software that control how and when it charges. It is idiot proof. Just plug it in and let it do the work. You cannot over-charge it.

Now if the updates, backups/ restores, and latest maps were so easy. :D

Ask a Question