How large should my backup files be?

I have a TomTom ONE IQ Routes (UK &ROI) and my PC runs under Windows 7 Professional.

When the device arrived the first thing I tried to do (as I have seen strongly recommended elsewhere) was to back it up using the Backup icon in TomTom Home. This failed with the following error message in Technical Details:

An error occurred while writing to this file: "C:\Users\<PC name>\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ONE\Backup01\InternalMemory\statdata\818

I then followed the method of manual backup recommended by TomTom (copying and pasting from the device to my PC). This also failed with the following error message:

The file name you specified is not valid or too long.
The file name was given as 818 and was described as a Boot.TLO file with a size of 1.18GB.

The next day I again tried and this time the backup appeared to work. However, when I checked the Backup folder on my PC I found the size was only 242MB. So, is there missing material - whatever happened to this very large 818 file?

Something is clearly wrong.

Try an Explorer backup again. (We suggest never using Home for backups/restores).

Thanks for the reply. By Explorer backup can I take it that you mean copying the files using Windows Explorer? If so, that is what I tried. I made sure that Show Hidden Files was set in View in Explorer and then, in Explorer, selected all the files on my TomTom device drive, copied them and then pasted them (still in Explorer) into the TomTom folder on my PC.

I've just tried it again and, as i said, it now appears to be working without any errors. What I would like to know, to be sure that there still aren't any problems, is whether the total size of the backed up files seems reasonable - there does seem to be a lot of unused space on the TomTom device drive (1.66GB out of the 1.91GB capacity).

So, I only have UK & ROI maps on my TomTom device. The size of the backup on my PC matches that of the TomTom device, namely 539 files with a total size of 240MB. Does this look reasonable? If so, I can get on downloading up-to-date maps which I gather I have to do within 30 days to get them free.

Personally, I would also use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. That sounds like a lot of free space to me. It may be proper and I'm aware the specific map you reference is not large. But there are other things (like the application, voice folder, etc.) that take up space.

As far as I can see, the map should take up about 241.7 MB
so what about all the other stuff?

As I said, use Explorer and see what you have on your unit.

Ask a Question