How important is TomTom Home?

Were you by chance dl the map file using a wireless connection rather than a directly connected computer? Wireless often have problems with Tomtom servers and large downloads.

That .bmp is a Howard johnson logo which replaces the generic hotel poi icon whenever it comes across one on your map.

If you have an Explorer backup of your unit's contents, you might want the manual install of the map (not using Home).

Method to do so is here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

No to the Wireless question. I have a direct (DSL) connection.

I do have an Explorer backup.
An idea came to me..... maybe I have a bad USB port..... so I switched USB ports and am trying to update. Details to follow.....no film!

It appears that I have a BAD USB port that my TomTom was connected to. I could download items, but could not update my device.

Mystery solved!:D:)

It appears that I have a BAD USB port that my TomTom was connected to. I could download items, but could not update my device.

Mystery solved!:D:)
Aw geez -- you gotta wonder if that port going south was part of what was bricking all of those other units. Remember that we talked about whether your failures were "out of box", and finally got around to the fact that they'd all been connected to TomTom via Home before they died.

The USB ports on your computer are tied to independent ports on the chip that manages USB functions. Plugging into a different port on your computer can often cause things to improve either due to connector issues or chip issues.

My brother in law goes thru an USB flash drive every 3 months. I asked him whether he use the green arrow at the bottom right to disconnect them before pulling them out. His answer surprised me: "Not necessary, you don't have to do it in XP". Mine, mine...

RIP Tom Tom 340

:confused:Well, device #6 was just shipped back to the Manufacturer (at their suggestion). They are replacing it.

I sincerely wish I knew what, on my computer (if that is the real problem), was causing the problem. But, even after going to a different computer altogether, did not resolve the problem.

Customer "Service" person said that "they believe that the unit was corrupted beyond our ability to try and salvage it".:eek:

Guess we'll never know.:confused:

Well - you know the startup drill. Backup.

Do you have other USB devices that you can use to test an alternate port on your PC before we get into this ditch again?

Well - you know the startup drill. Backup.

Do you have other USB devices that you can use to test an alternate port on your PC before we get into this ditch again?

Actually, I tried my iPOD on the suspected "bad" USB port and the iPOD works fine, with no problems with transfers, reading & writing.....:confused::confused::confused:

When you had your success on the other computer, were you using the same cable?

I'm not real sure at this point. I only used two of the available USB ports on my Dell and the device failed to function correctly on both. The status of my issue is in "Research" at TomTom (whatever that means). :confused:

Let me throw this out for discussion

Is there a chance that since I had to re-install Windows a couple of months ago, it may have screwed something up? If so, how do I rectify that?:confused:

My dad had a problem with his not being recognised in his USB sockets and he called TomTom and they said to return it and he got a replacement.

My advice is try resetting it - hold the reset button in for 20 or 30 seconds. If it still doesnt work call TomTom and tell them.

A copy of my recent post to TomTom sent 4/22/2010

:confused: Hello. I received my new XL-340 yesterday from TomTom. Based on the past issues I have experienced, and not wanting to repeat the frustrating problems I have faced, I waited until a relative came home from work, and took my new device over to their house and hooked it up to their computer.

When Home2 started, it gave me the message that a new map version was available and asked if I wanted to download & install. I, of course, clicked on Yes.

I waited for the unit to download and install the newest map version. After this completed I then received the message that there were updates available and did I wish to download.

I clicked on Yes to get the updates for my brand new, just updated, device and then, to my shock received the message that there was insufficient space on my device and that Quick GPS Fix, Safety cameras, Map updates, etc. could not be downloaded and installed. It was suggested that I delete items on my device to make room.:eek:

I have not done anything yet, and was wondering if you can suggest what I should do to get this (now #8 new device in 4 months) updated once and for all.

I have NOT connected it to my home computer yet, since someone at TomTom thinks that I may have a problem with Windows XP.

I anxiously await your response!!!

Steve, did you not learn by now to make an Explorer backup of the unit as it is right out of the box!!!???

In any event, make an Explorer backup now. NOT Home.

Once done, connect to Home, manage my device, on device, voices. Remove all of them (copy them to the computer).

Then, update the map in Home. Should be room. Once done, make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the computer. Then use Home to Add back the voices from the computer.

Steve, did you not learn by now to make an Explorer backup of the unit as it is right out of the box!!!???

In any event, make an Explorer backup now. NOT Home. My bad... I forgot to mention whe I was copying my post to TomTom, that I did do a backup of the device NOT using Home.
Once done, connect to Home, manage my device, on device, voices. Remove all of them (copy them to the computer).

Then, update the map in Home. Should be room. Once done, make another Explorer backup to a different folder on the computer. Then use Home to Add back the voices from the computer.
The last time I did that, I received the error message "No map found" and TomTom had me return the unit.

By the way I have never mentioned to TomTom that I am following instructions here at these Forums.....:cool:

Update

So far....so good! Map downloaded (on my computer) with no problems, and my device is updated.

Unless you hear differently, I am back in business!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP & SUPPORT!!!!:D:D

Ask a Question