How I fought the TomTom Hydra and won!! Sort of...

I have been fighting with TomTom since September about problems I'd had with my GO 740 Live that they, eventually, replaced with a GO 2505TM. Like many, I found this forum in the search for answers and wanted to share my experience. As there about 5000 words over two posts starting here and ending here, I'll summarize them for y'all.

Bottom Line Up Front: If you have an incident number, preempt the techie by telling him that number rather than waiting for him/her to look you up. Always request the incident number for first time callers. Also, ask to speak to a supervisor, as they have more leeway in "fixing" problems. One gave me Live services until 2012 to compensate for their failures. Finally, the gemstone is to ask "for someone from Corporate Customer Care to contact you." These are the Action Words which must be put into the incident log and escalated. They will contact you, via phone, three to five business days from request.

Now for the rest of the story. My original 740 picked up a notorious habit of continuously power cycling 4-12 times. All remedial efforts to fix through TomTom Tech Support failed and resulted in shipping another 740. That, too, power cycled. Whilst talking with a supervisor, I asked to whom I could make a formal complaint. That was when I learned about Corporate Customer Care and their Customer Service Reps. It was the CSR who sent a third 740, which also failed, but then sent a 2505TM to be rid of the 740. Wow, I was impressed but, after four months, I wanted TomTom to do the right thing.

As we all know, there are still technical issues with the 2505TM that most have run into. Firstly, when connecting the 2505 to my Win7Pro64 box, the WiFi dropped off but not when connected to my wife's WinXPPro32 box. The technical boffins are trying to fix this. Next, TomTom Tech support told me on 1/6/11 that there was a technical issue WITHIN TomTom which is prohibiting the 2505TM from pulling the 860 map, not a problem with the device. Finally, FWIW, the Live capabilities of the 1005 are to be available on the 2505, without replacing current devices, sometime this year.

So, there ya go. Almost five months of phone calls with dozens of folks within TomTom and what have I to show for it? A PND, whilst the top flight model, which has less capability than the previous model. And doesn't have all the updated data. :confused:

Will TomTom do all of this for / to you, too? Dunno, YMMV. At the very least, doing something is better than doing nothing, especially at these prices. In any case, at least you can cut through the bureaucracy a >little< quicker to find out whether you want to stay with TomTom or not. Good luck.

Cheers!!

Interesting feedback.....especially about the reference to LIVE functionality.

A 2505LIVE was announced as CES this past week for release in the States this summer. However, I think they may have given you wrong information (big surprise .... :D ) if they implied that current models would have that functionality.

You see, for there to be LIVE functionality, the unit has to have a built in SIM card. I do not think the first release batch have them. (You would have to peel the sticker off that is on the bottom of the unit and the card resides in there).

I might be wrong in my understanding.......

dhn, you've got it in one! Regardless, I do hope that folks will benefit from the gems and I wish them luck whilst dealing with TT.

Cheers!!

Ask a Question