How does one set the year on a 540TM?

I saw how to set the time, but then when I went to enter the date for a scheduled trip the year only allowed for 1970 or 1971. Is there a way to fix this?

I saw how to set the time, but then when I went to enter the date for a scheduled trip the year only allowed for 1970 or 1971. Is there a way to fix this?
Um... could you describe in more detail the steps you are taking that are producing the choice of 1970/1971? Walk me through it, if you would.

Odd, it didn't do it this time. It happened yesterday when I did Prepare Route>Depart From>Select Destination>Fastest Route> Specific date and time. At that point it would only let me pick a date between 1970 and 1971. But I just did it again and it's showing me 2011. Odd.

99% certain that you tried to set up the route either before you had a satellite fix or in a location where a satellite fix was not possible. Your unit gets the "current date" from the satellite clocks. What you got was the "default".

Ah, yes. The GPS Standard Date. I suspect you are right. I wonder if the Tomtoms handle leap seconds properly? ;)

Ah, yes. The GPS Standard Date. I suspect you are right. I wonder if the Tomtoms handle leap seconds properly? ;)
Of interest - the GPS system ignores leap seconds altogether. TAI (International Atomic Time) isn't adjusted for them either. Only "GMT" (aka "UTC") gets adjusted.

As the world turns...

TAI runs ahead of GPS time (19 seconds)
GPS time runs ahead of UTC (currently 15 seconds)

As the world turns...

TAI runs ahead of GPS time (19 seconds)
GPS time runs ahead of UTC (currently 15 seconds)

Well I never knew that! Thanks !
I thought they all alligned within a few mS.
So if I look at my "radio controlled" alarm clock (which gets it's reference from the MSF tansmitter at Anthorn in the UK and is based on UTC(NPL),and compare it to "TomTom time" then I should see a 15 second difference?

Only "GMT" (aka "UTC") gets adjusted.
I've been doing a bit of reading tonight and actually GMT can be ?1 second different from UTC.
(Time from NPL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So if I look at my "radio controlled" alarm clock (which gets it's reference from the MSF tansmitter at Anthorn in the UK and is based on UTC(NPL),and compare it to "TomTom time" then I should see a 15 second difference?
Depends upon the clock source for the Anthorn transmitter. If actually NPL, that should put into the worldwide collection of synced cesium clocks. But are they adjusting TAI for UTC and transmitting that, or are they transmitting the TAI right off the NPL clock? Whichever it is, there's no question that you should see a difference per above as both of them are offset from GPS time.

I just synchronized my computer with time.windows.com and compared it with the time on my XXL 540 (UTC time on the satellite status screen). They agree within one second.

It seems that the leap second offset is transmitted by the satellites every 12.5 minutes and the TomTom applies this correction to the UTC time displayed. It even does this if the satellites are currently unavailable (I had just turned it on).

How accurate is the TIME DISPLAY on my GPS?

The same problem

Hi, I write from Italy and I have a Tom Tom One New Edition (2nd/3rd).

I have the same problem because I can change the year between 1970 and 1971.

How can I fix this problem?

Thank you very much to all people can help me!:thumb:

Welcome to TTF. I'm not clear where on the unit you are looking to change the date but you must make sure you have a GPS satellite fix prior to changing the time so maybe that's the problem.

@dhn....Probably like the OP in Prepare Route>Depart From>Select Destination>Fastest Route> Specific date and time?

But I'm confused too, because none of my units ask for a year!

@briccabrix.... Can you explain exactly where you are seeing the issue?

Maybe it's an old software thing? What version of software are you running?

@dhn....Probably like the OP in Prepare Route>Depart From>Select Destination>Fastest Route> Specific date and time?

But I'm confused too, because none of my units ask for a year!

@briccabrix.... Can you explain exactly where you are seeing the issue?

Maybe it's an old software thing? What version of software are you running?

Hi, the problem is in "Prepare Route>Depart From>Select Destination>Fastest Route> Specific date and time" and appeared for the first time after I changed the battery of my tom tom!

The software is 9.xxx so I don't think it's old...it always worked...

P.S.

I tried today to fix the gps in front of my home and in about a minute fix it but the problem is still on..

What happens if you go to Change Preferences / Set clock /

Actually change it (even if it was right) and then, with a good satellite fix press "sync".

The hour might change, one hour wrong, but you can put that back manually, and it might just change the year.

To be honest, it won't make any difference to the routing it does, but I can understand it's irritating.

Hi! I will try with your method...help me understanding well..now in italy is 17:00...for example i can set clock at 12:00...after that I go in the street and I fix satellite...then where have I to press "sync"?

I'm sorry if my language isn't so much correct! :)

Hi! I will try with your method...help me understanding well..now in italy is 17:00...for example i can set clock at 12:00...after that I go in the street and I fix satellite...then where have I to press "sync"?

I'm sorry if my language isn't so much correct! :)

Hi, I resolved the problem navigating in my town with a destination but without planning the day..after this the year is 2012!

Thank you very much for your precious messages

P.S.

I think that the problem was born because the tom tom stayed a week without battery!

Ask a Question