How does 'HD Traffic' actually work?

Hi guys,

How does the TomTom (re)calculate routes using the Live HD Traffic data?

I was using my TomTom XL Live for the first time the other day, selected a route and once it had calculated it said 75 miles, 1 hour 34 minutes. The traffic must have updated during that time, and it displayed 2 delays and a roadblock on route (on the motorway), with a +6 min on top.

As that looked decidedly dodgy, I tapped the traffic bar and selected minimise delays. It recalculated the route and now said '1hour, 38 minutes', but now with no delays on route. So I accepted that and set off. Indeed my journey was delay free (it took me off and put my back on the motorway just after a junction closure), so I was a happy chappy.

What I didn't understand was, if the HD Traffic had updated on-route to say that the roadblock was now clear, would that have kept me on the motorway (as it would have been quicker)?

I have the option to always minimise delays set to 'YES'.

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for the link, that kind of helps, in that it says users will be able to select quicker routes based on the information provided.

It doesn't say whether the updated traffic information is used to update the route on the fly -automatically.
Does anyone know, or has seen a route updated whilst driving due to updated traffic info?

Otherwise if I'm driving down the motorway and the road 10 miles ahead is closed, my original route would take me straight into the traffic, where as it should update my route automatically to take me off the motorway at the junction before.

Ask a Question