How do you make POIs?

I would like to make my own POI list but I dont know how.

I looked here http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/nav_poi.php but I dont understand. I really would like a nice clear guide with say some examples.

Is there anything out there like that?

A list of Poi's is actually pretty simple. it's just a list of locations in latitude and longtitude.

Download the program poiedit from www.poiedit.com. after installing it as a test to see the file structure you could click on the mapsettings.cfg file in your map folder on your tomtom. poiedit will open this file and you can see your favs listed with the lat and long displayed. simply saving this list as an .ov2 file with xxxx name creates a poi list.

so if you have a number of spots with lat and long, you can create a list with this program. save as an .ov2 and load into your map folder on the tomtom.

if you want a special icon, you need a graphic that needs to be a specific size in pixels. sorry, but I forget the exact size. someone here could chime in and give you that information.

or.....the tomtom itself will provide a default icon, usually a red square, to indicate a poi you've created.

Last edited:
xxx.BMP must have the same file name as the xxx.ov2 file.

The bmp is 22x22 or 24x24. Otherwise you will see a red square as the error.

Ask a Question