How do you correct an address?

When I enter the street address for my home, I find that TomTom announces that it's at a point about 1/4 mile away. This isn't a problem for me, since I know where I live, but it would be nice to know that other GPS users would be able to find my house, should they need to do so.

Any suggestions?

Well, this won't help other foks in finding your address when entering it into a GPS unit, but as far as assigning your 'home' location in TomTom, why not use the Lat/Lon positioning? It's much more accurate. I had to do this with mine as well.

Walk out to the front of your house (drive way entrance) and turn on your TomTom. Then... Tap
  • "Change preferences" <right arrow> <right arrow>
  • "Change Home location" <right arrow>
  • to "My location".
This way it uses your actual position via satellite computation instead of dividing up addresses in your neighborhood. The address numbers are not always real accurate. My address is about 50 feet away (not as bad as a quarter mile).

Hope this helps.

You don't say what unit you're using but you can correct the address and share that address through Mapshare. That way whomever allows mapshare updates will have your correct location.

Are addresses this off with other GPS units? I can't remember the last time my 720 told me I had arrived at my destination when it really was right there when it said it. Usually it is a few houses or so down.

Are addresses this off with other GPS units? I can't remember the last time my 720 told me I had arrived at my destination when it really was right there when it said it. Usually it is a few houses or so down.

That's about par for this or any GPS unit. Some destinations are dead on, some off a bit (it says my house is 8 houses away!) and some destinations are even further off ....

All that matters is that it gets me to the general area. Of course I would love for it to take me DIRECTLY there but for right now, this is pretty good.

Do you guys think that any time in the near future there will be a GPS which REALLY lets you edit the maps. TT has a good start but I want a fully functional map editor in which I can lay my own roads (a huge bypass was just put by my friends house and still hasn't been updated). I don't see why it would be so difficult to implement.

Last edited:

Ask a Question