How do I shut this thing up

Sometimes when I have my TT navigate me to a destination after I get to my destination and then leave to go somewhere else, I want it to stop giving me directions (maybe I already know how to get there) but I still want to leave it on just to see where I am at. How do I get it to stop giving me directions without turning it off

Sometimes when I have my TT navigate me to a destination after I get to my destination and then leave to go somewhere else, I want it to stop giving me directions (maybe I already know how to get there) but I still want to leave it on just to see where I am at. How do I get it to stop giving me directions without turning it off

you can clear the rouite from the navagate to screen press the right arrow and then press right arrow again to see the clear route button. Now you can just see the route as you travel without any words

Actually, you dont need to clear the route. You can still navigate, just turn of the sound. I rarely if ever have sound on myself.

Or is that not what the OP is askIng?....

When he says for it to stop giving directions I was under the impression he meant voice directions.

If he wants it to totally stop giving directions of any kind, then yes, you are correct in saying to clear the route.....

:)

Cheers

ps: its always very helpful if the model is listed....

Last edited:
Automatic clearing of the route after arrival is something many people have requested. It's crazy that once you arrive at your destination that the route isn't cleared. You're already there!

Automatic clearing of the route after arrival is something many people have requested. It's crazy that once you arrive at your destination that the route isn't cleared. You're already there!

Here's the issue.......

Mapping data is never 100% accurate; consequently, where the gps thinks your destination is (say the map is showing a driveway) may be 50' from the real driveway. So, you HAVE reached the destination but according to the map (gps), you haven't. So, it doesn't 'clear the route' since (in theory) you haven't gotten there yet.

Here's the issue.......

Mapping data is never 100% accurate; consequently, where the gps thinks your destination is (say the map is showing a driveway) may be 50' from the real driveway. So, you HAVE reached the destination but according to the map (gps), you haven't. So, it doesn't 'clear the route' since (in theory) you haven't gotten there yet.

I can confirm this. Usually, if your destination is somewhere you've been before and you used the gps to map that position to your favorites, it will show you right on target the next time you route there and the route will auto-clear. Once in a while with addresses and built-in POI, it will be accurate enough to clear the route but mostly, it won't.

Note that, if you add to your favorites once sitting in the building at your destination, the gps will NEVER consider you made it the next time you drive to that destination. The point you save must be on the last mapped road or the last possible point your vehicle will ALWAYS cross when going there. If you are sitting in your car, parked at the far-end of the parking lot when you save your favorite, the next time you go there, unless you park at the same spot, the gps won't see the trip as completed. The best spot to save, in this case, would be the parking lot entrance for example, or any point you will always pass-trough. Nothing stop you from parking and walking back to that point in order to save the favorite.

Maybe TomTom could implement a user-selectable feature where the route is cleared when within a hundred feet of the target?

Last edited:
When I navigate to Home, I have it set for an intersection near my house. I know for a fact that it knows I've arrived because the Status Bar goes blank and it tells me I have arrived. However, whenI turn it back on it tries to route me home again. I know it's selectable, but I want it to resume where it left off when I turn it back on, but ONLY if I haven't arrived at my ultimate destination. If I've already arrived, and the unit knows I have, why does it restart the Navigate To when I turn it back on?

Suppositly whenever you put in a New route your unit clears automatically.. However if you just want to see the roads you have to do it manually.

When I navigate to Home, I have it set for an intersection near my house. I know for a fact that it knows I've arrived because the Status Bar goes blank and it tells me I have arrived. However, whenI turn it back on it tries to route me home again. I know it's selectable, but I want it to resume where it left off when I turn it back on, but ONLY if I haven't arrived at my ultimate destination. If I've already arrived, and the unit knows I have, why does it restart the Navigate To when I turn it back on?

Yes, that's a known quirk in the software. A power off/on switches the Tomtom from "arrived" mode to "unarrived" mode. Only way to prevent it is the clear route before poweroff. I've got it down to a habit on my 720, tap -> lower right -> lower right -> upper right -> lower right

I wish the Tomtom did what my accord nav does.. After a power off/on, it auto selects the next stop on your itinerary. If you completed the last stop, it clears the route.

I think one of the linux gurus like mikealder can write a clear route upon poweron fix for this. It would involve creating a linux autorun file, and deleting the current itinerary (I forget the temp folder it sits in). There could be legitimate reasons (eg rest area bathroom break0 where you want to keep a route up, but a navigate to recent destination would achieve that.

Last edited:

Ask a Question