How do I make it stop giving me directions?

I have the XL325SE. I program it to navigate to a destination and it does fine. But after I get there, I want to drive around the area, leaving the map view on so I can see the streets without having a programmed destination. But it keeps giving me spoken directions to my last destination. Without a handy mute button, how do I get it to shut up and stop giving me directions I no longer want?

Tap the middle of the status bar and you should see 'clear route' (I think it's there on your model). That will take care of the issue.

Otherwise it's buried about three screens in the menu. Never understood that. Also my last gps would automatically cancel the route after you arrived. TomTom should consider having this as an option.

Tomtom's will go into "Arrived" mode once you reach within about 50 feet of your destination. From that point onwards, it no longer gives voice guidance.

Johnny Row, perhaps your address number was mislocated on the Tomtom map, so it didn't think you got within 50 feet.

Thanks mvl. That's the part of the explanation I was missing. That would explain why it happens only occasionally. From now on, I'll check carefully to see that I get the "you have arrived" message to make sure that Im getting further voice directions only when I miss that message.

Another thought that comes to mind is perhaps the OP wants it to route him, but without voice guidance. I will typically do that until I get close to a location. For example, left New Brunswick for Boston. I have no problem getting to Boston, just needed help routing to my destination. Because its always good to know where you are and how long until you get to your destination, I set the unit to route me from the beginning but turn off the voice until I really want the warnings and prompts.

On my unit I tap the screen, Options, and the no voice icon is on the first screen.

J

Never noticed the "arrived mode" but if the location in the gps was not quite correct in starts yakking at you again if you leave the zone. I wish it would just cancel once I arrive. At least they could give us an option to have that happen.

Ask a Question