How do I install new maps on more than one unit?

I have two TomTom's - a One XL that I've had for about a year and a 330 XLS that I just bought.

As per the way Home is set up I had to use a different email addresses to create a profile for each unit (or rather to create a new profile for my new unit).

As per the latest map guarantee I was able to download the 815 maps for the 330 XLS - but how do I also get them to install on the one-xl?

So far I don't see a way to do it in Home, but I assume there has to be some way to manually do it - they wouldn't actually require me to buy separate new maps for EACH unit would they? IMO that would be absurd.

Any help or a link to a guide would be much appreciated as I've been unable to find it on my own.

I suspect the maps are 'keyed in' to work only on a particular unit. Otherwise, I can just borrow your xls with new map on it and do a backup and restore it to my same model of tomtom.

they wouldn't actually require me to buy separate new maps for EACH unit would they? IMO that would be absurd.

Yes, they DO expect you to buy new maps for each unit! Otherwise, they'd never sell but one map. The way the internet is it'd be posted the first day out and everybody would get it free. All other companies are the same way as well.

Yes, they DO expect you to buy new maps for each unit! Otherwise, they'd never sell but one map. The way the internet is it'd be posted the first day out and everybody would get it free. All other companies are the same way as well.

Come on now - they could easily tie the map sales/downloads to the user rather than the unit.

I have to say - the current map/sales model is quite harsh if that truly is the way it is.

Now - I definitely have read posts in the past on this forum on how to do exactly what I'm trying to do, with no mention of it being against the rules or anything, so I know it's possible - though apparently it is frowned upon.

I guess I should have mentioned in my previous post - long time lurker, first time poster, sort of. Long ago I had an issue with my One XL which this forum helped me solve - but I don't remember the profile I created back then so I made a new one.

No other brand allows for the switching of maps between models to my knowledge. Why would you expect it of TT?

I also have 2 TT's, as I am sure many members here have.

If you want to update the maps on your 2 TomTom's, you must buy a new map for each, as I did.

It would be great if TomTom decided to let you purchase the latest available maps once for all TT's owned in the household, but, so far, they do not. I don't think any of the NAV companies do that. The first one that does will probably grab some significant market share. (hint, hint, hint) ;)

It's just like purchasing Windows for your PC. You are supposed to install only 1 copy per computer, regardless of how many computers you yourself own.

Although when purchasing Adobe, the EULA grants you the right to install on two computers, maybe only if not using the two at the same time though.

What I would like to see is a multi-user pack like a lot of other software does. I buy 3 user license packs for office and windows. If you wanted to buy a 2 or 3 license pack of maps you get a little price break. That would be nice. I think that would encourage people to upgrade more.

Come on now - they could easily tie the map sales/downloads to the user rather than the unit.

I have to say - the current map/sales model is quite harsh if that truly is the way it is.

I have to agree. My wife has my old 700 unit, and when I fork out $100 to buy a new map for my 720, I don't see a reason why I shouldn't be able to put it on her device, too.

I'll give you one .... good one. Maps are locked to a specific device when installed. So you can't 'share' maps between devices, even if both devices were the same model, which they aren't in your case.

Sorry.

I would think its the same reason ESSO charges you for the gas you put in all of your vehicles.

If their business is creating maps (and I would think its a pretty expensive procedure), why would they allow you to install it on each and every device, including making copies and selling to whomever.

Having said that, it would be nice if perhaps TomTom or Garmin, or whomever would at the very least provide a discount on additional maps for units registered to a single user.

Just my .2 worth.

Cheers!

If we help convince our friends to buy tomtom gps.. eventually tomtom market will increase and they will be able to justify bringing down the price of new maps..

I would think its the same reason ESSO charges you for the gas you put in all of your vehicles.

If their business is creating maps (and I would think its a pretty expensive procedure), why would they allow you to install it on each and every device, including making copies and selling to whomever.

Having said that, it would be nice if perhaps TomTom or Garmin, or whomever would at the very least provide a discount on additional maps for units registered to a single user.

Just my .2 worth.

You offered about eighteen cents too much. :)

Just my .2 worth.

Cheers!

Ahh but once you've bought the gas, you own it. You are free to siphon the gas from one car and pour it into another.
TT's restriction is like buying a CD. It's a set of data that you own when you pay for it.
I buy a cd and stick it in my Sony disk man and it plays. I am free to listen to the same CD in my car. I think the policy sucks. If there's not a hack out there yet, there should be.

ok, so maybe my analogy wasnt the best....lol

but, once you use the gas, you have to buy more, and more, and more...

not only that, apparently I am in the hole by 16 cents as well.

Cheers!

rcacs, How long did it take you to rack up those miles on your Zuki? I'm slowing down in my old age and only do 10 or 12 thousand miles per year these days. 20 years back, I put 166,000 miles on a Harley in just under 4 years.
The body just won't allow that many miles at 59, but after close to a million miles in 40 years, I think I should be allowed to slack off some.

Ahh but once you've bought the gas, you own it. You are free to siphon the gas from one car and pour it into another.
TT's restriction is like buying a CD. It's a set of data that you own when you pay for it.
I buy a cd and stick it in my Sony disk man and it plays. I am free to listen to the same CD in my car. I think the policy sucks. If there's not a hack out there yet, there should be.

Yes, but you don't get to use the gas on BOTH cars!

Yes, but you don't get to use the gas on BOTH cars!
So my analogy is flawed too.
When you buy a paper map, you own it. You can move it freely from the glove box of your car to your wife's car and no one bitches. You can even give it away to someone of your choosing. What makes TT's maps so different? And don't start talking about proprietary code.
They have already made their kernel source open source in a settlement because of GPL violations and I would bet that a good deal of their application code is lifted as well.

Ask a Question