How do I change the words for abbreviations?

I assume it can be done, but how would I change Susan's long words for some abbreviations? In particular, her voice thinks "Br" is "Branch" when in the vast majority of cases around here it really is "Bridge". I think it's kind of odd that I'm approaching the "Delaware Memorial Branch", for example. How does one fix this?

I assume it can be done, but how would I change Susan's long words for some abbreviations? In particular, her voice thinks "Br" is "Branch" when in the vast majority of cases around here it really is "Bridge". I think it's kind of odd that I'm approaching the "Delaware Memorial Branch", for example. How does one fix this?

Look at the third post in this thread (Spook45)
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/21171-how-fix-poor-tts-pronunciation.html

How does one fix this?
Depends upon what model you have and which firmware you're running. That change can be made fairly easily by modifying the "br" entry in the following file, IF your particular unit has it:

[drive]:\LoquendoTTS\data\roadnrEnglishUS.lex

In that file on my 740, the "br" is on line 48. Change it from

"br" = "branch"

to

"br" = "bridge"

Last edited:
Thanks. I have the 540TM with the latest SW and FW.
Great. Try the edit I suggested with a tool like Wordpad or similar (really basic text editor). Save a backup copy first in case you cause any problems in the edit. I changed mine for the same reason ("br") some time back. I also found myself adding a couple (e.g., "cr" = "circle")

Last edited:
I think on this latest version, I also added "rt" for route. If I remember correctly, it only came with "rte" for route. It's been a while.

Depends upon what model you have and which firmware you're running. That change can be made fairly easily by modifying the "br" entry in the following file, IF your particular unit has it:

[drive]:\LoquendoTTS\data\roadnrEnglishUS.lex

In that file on my 740, the "br" is on line 48. Change it from

"br" = "branch"

to

"br" = "bridge"

I've made the above changes but it didn't change her pronunciation - "bridge" is still spoken "branch." Perhaps it's because I only tested in the Demo mode, although that shouldn't make a difference? Any other tips?

Now that's odd. There seems to be quite a variation in behavior between models.

You can always try the old trick of renaming the cphoneme.dat. file to cphoneme.old - although in this instance, it should not matter. That lex file is designed to modify the way street name features are pronounced. Might be worth giving the unit a reboot as well.

I tried the reboot but she still mispronounces Delaware Memorial "Branch" (Demo mode). Perhaps the Br designation isn't used in ver. 865.3254 USA_Canada_and_ Mexico_P. I did incorporate several of your abbreviations to see if there will be other noticeable changes.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried the reboot but she still mispronounces Delaware Memorial "Branch" (Demo mode). Perhaps the Br designation isn't used in ver. 865.3254 USA_Canada_and_ Mexico_P. I did incorporate several of your abbreviations to see if there will be other noticeable changes.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Since I have a different model, I'm running the North_America_2GB version of the map -- somewhat different from yours -- but it should not matter. You can see in that file where road name abbreviations are being managed .. or should be. I have no idea what file your unit is looking at to make the same mistake in yet another place. Sorry.

Here's yet another user who was able to make the change successfully. https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...ce-issues-after-updating-maps.html#post144105

You DID change the file on the TT itself, and not the copy on your PC, right?

Thanks canderson for the referral where I did grab a few more recommended pronounciation improvements, and put them in my LoquendoTTS\data\roadnrEnglishUS.lex (suffix correct) file on my TomTom.

I can confirm that I had previously put it on the TT inself (smile).

I'm thinking that perhaps mine is the model they happened to have assembled on a Monday morning (ha) . . . but I'll keep trying anyway to see if I can solve this "nice to have it right" issue.

Well, this didn't seem to work entirely for me either. I followed the instructions in the links, and now "br" is not "bridge" - and not "branch" as it was originally - but "b" "r". Would it help if I put the abbriviation in capitalized variations? ("br", "Br", "BR")

tony22, your efforts have made a change in your pronounciation (albeit not the correct one) whereas my changes have made no difference in my unit. I tried changing the abbreviation from br to Br without success. I'll try your other variation ideas and see if any of them work. All my changes have only been tested in Demo mode.

This is very very odd. I just took a drive through my neighborhood and noticed that suddenly now the abbreviation "dr" is being announced as the word "doctor" and no longer as "drive"! I looked at the roadnrEnglishUS.lex file and saw the line "dr" = "drive", so why is it now thrown off for something that's still in the file?

Are the entries in this file indexed somehow, and now since I've added a few new ones into it the indexing has been thrown off?

You can always try the old trick of renaming the cphoneme.dat. file to cphoneme.old - although in this instance, it should not matter. That lex file is designed to modify the way street name features are pronounced. Might be worth giving the unit a reboot as well.

Finally decided to do the only thing I hadn't tried - renaming the cphoneme.dat file. Woila!

canderson, in this case getting rid of cphoneme.dat file did matter (smile) - thanks!

tony22, your bridge should now be correctly pronounced bridge, not branch, if you make both changes.

canderson, in this case getting rid of cphoneme.dat file did matter (smile) - thanks!
Excellent. Glad to hear that you're not branching now!

This is very very odd. I just took a drive through my neighborhood and noticed that suddenly now the abbreviation "dr" is being announced as the word "doctor" and no longer as "drive"! I looked at the roadnrEnglishUS.lex file and saw the line "dr" = "drive", so why is it now thrown off for something that's still in the file?

Are the entries in this file indexed somehow, and now since I've added a few new ones into it the indexing has been thrown off?

If you have renamed your file "cphoneme.dat" file to something else (take it out of circulation) it should say drive not doctor for "dr." I have tested this in my neighborhood and drive is pronounced correctly for me.

Have you been able to get br to be pronounced bridge and not branch?

Ask a Question