How can I use a new sd card in ONE XL?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL Australia
I need some help please with using a new sd card.
I'd like to know what I'm up against before spending more money!
The card that came with my ONE XL has 118.9mb space, and there seems to be no internal memory. I want to install a new map needing 129.6mb. So, I need a new 2gb sd card, I think.
What do I have to do to make the new card work?
Certainly the device does not connect to HOME without its original card in it (stamped "AU ONE XL). But does a (?blank) new map connect to HOME?
If the device connects to HOME with the new sd card in it, I could restore to it perhaps, and then add new map. Is that the way to go?
Total mystery!
Sincere thanks for your help.

That model should be able to handle a 2 gb sd (not sdhc) card. But I think everything, maps and application need to be on the card for it to work in the unit.

Thanks: that's encouraging. I wonder if there are hidden files on my present card, and what on earth "neurocore" is!

Sure you don't mean 'navcore'? That's what the application is technically referred as.

For example, in my 720 model, the latest navcore version is 8.351.

You are correct: interesting Freudian slip!
My version of navcore is 7.162.
I don't see navcore listed among the files I can see on my card (with Explorer), so perhaps it is hidden. I gather it is necessary, but can you tell me what it is? And if I should try to update it?
What I plan to do is buy a card, transfer all (visible) files from old card to PC with Explorer, transfer all from PC to new card in Tomtom, use HOME Manage to remove old map, use HOME Update to install new map.
Seem right to you, dhn?
Thanks again.

If you put a sd card up to 2 gb in size in the unit and connect to Home, it should offer an application and install it on the card. You should then be able to copy the specific map folder (and a folder called map, if there is one, there may not be ....) from the old card to the new card via the pc as temporary storage.

Should be good to go then.......

Alternatively, you should be able to copy EVERYTHING from your old card to a new one (using Windows Explorer to just COPY then PASTE).
Check that works in the TT and THEN connect to Home and do any updating it offers.

I *think* that should work as well.

P.S. there are no files actually called "Navcore", all the files on the device or card that are NOT in a folder are collectively the Navcore.

There are normally no "hidden" files on a TomTom (or not on any of the ones I've had, anyway!)

Thank you very much: this is just the help I needed. Excellent speedy forum: congrats. Will try new card today!

I followed Andy_P recipe. Transferring files to the new card was a breeze, and the new card worked in the TT. Update and Install on HOME transferred an application and map. I now have the new map working with a 2gb card on the TT.
However, HOME is unhappy:
>>You have an invalid version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device. To use HOME you need to install the correct version of the TomTom application. Error code: 573 Debug info from server: InvalidModelOrNavcoreException %3A The combination of model and navcore version provided is not supported. info.args.deviceParameters = [string] {"ApplicationVersion":"9369","ApplicationVersionVersionNumber":"8010"}

Nevertheless the TT seems to work. I shall ignore HOME's error message, unless you advise otherwise and can tell me how to get the "right" application version.

Thanks again. Let's count this a success!

If you want to try getting the the "right" software, do this....

BACK UP everything first - Using Windows Explorer, copy the current card's entire contents and paste them to somewhere safe on your PC - Keep that back-up!

Next, write down what your current software version is (just because we would be interested to know)

Then, using Windows Explorer again, browse to the TomTom SD card and DELETE all the files which are not in a folder, leave all the folders and their contents alone.

Then connect the device to Home, and Home should offer new software and install it.

Tell us the old and new software versions if you can.

Here are some before and after details:

ORIGINAL
ttgo.bif file contents: [TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
RamDiskVersion=20071121 BootLoaderVersion=53026 LinuxVersion=2327 ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=7162 ApplicationVersion=8492
IL #2: 'Memory Card' 0 free/118 total MB Block Size 1024 Media Name 'InternalMemory' serial $c06971de, Writable
NEW
ttgo.bif file contents: [TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
RamDiskVersion=20080529 BootLoaderVersion=53026 LinuxVersion=190943 ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010 ApplicationVersion=9369
IL #1: 'Memory Card' 1731 free/1883 total MB Block Size 32768 Media Name 'InternalMemory' serial $61363962, Writable

Perhaps this helps explain what has happened?
I await your verdict, before deleting and HOME update, as you suggested.
(As alternative, I wonder if partial merge (on the PC) might work: use old navcore files and new folders? or swap new map for old?)
I wonder if the error message means that navcore 8010 is "not supported" by HOME when it installed in my model ONE XL?

Probably just a Home glitch.
But so long as you have that recent backup, there's no danger in deleting the "loose" files and re-downloading them via Home to see if it sorts it.

Less opportunity for things to go wrong than messing about trying to merge bits from different places yourself.

For your information: Deleted loose files, and allowed HOME to update. TT:"no maps found". About a dozen "loose" files not replaced by HOME. Transferred these to card: Still no maps found.
Restored card version2 from PC. Works fine.
Uninstalled HOME, installed again. Worked fine with no error message.

Thank you so much for your prompt and pertinent replies: the Forum has been extremely helpful. Bye!

Ask a Question