How can I remove a road?

Up here in the Colorado Rockies, my TomTom One v.3 seems to see all roads as unpaved. I set it for the "fastest" route to a camp at the end of a real unpaved road. After calculating the route, it directed me onto a one-lane, unimproved road which was gated shut after three miserable miles, duirng which we almost got stuck.

I finally managed to get back to the main road, and to our destination. But now we are here, it wants to send me back via the same, closed road. I tried to get it to block out this road, but with limited success. It insists that closed road is the fastest way.

I admit to being a skeptic (see my "handle"). But could that route have been tailored for MapShare by an unscrupulous tow-truck operator?

If I were using a printed map, I'd just X out the road. Doing that on TomTom seems to require a lot of work, with limited chance of success. Is there an easy way to do this?

Last edited:
Up here in the Colorado Rockies, my TomTom One v.3 seems to see all roads as unpaved. I set it for the "fastest" route to a camp at the end of a real unpaved road. After calculating the route, it directed me onto a one-lane, unimproved road which was gated shut after three miserable miles, duirng which we almost got stuck.

I finally managed to get back to the main road, and to our destination. But now we are here, it wants to send me back via the same, closed road. I tried to get it to block out this road, but with limited success. It insists that closed road is the fastest way.

I admit to being a skeptic (see my "handle"). But could that route have been tailored for MapShare by an unscrupulous tow-truck operator?

If I were using a printed map, I'd just X out the road. Doing that on TomTom seems to require a lot of work, with limited chance of success. Is there an easy way to do this?

What exactly are you doing to try to block the road?

What exactly are you doing to try to block the road?

Thanks for asking.

Menu2/Map Corrections/Correct a Map Error/(Un)block street/Near you/Select Street to (un)block access for cars/

Laboriously find road by following main road until the side-road appears.

Move cursor so it is on top of subject side-road.

Done/Done.

Reply: "No corrections made."

I am certainly missing something here. What is it?

Are there instructions or a tutorial somewhere on how to do this?

It would be futile to try to find a road by name around here. Most roads have several names depending on what part of the road you are on.

Menu2/Map Corrections/Correct a Map Error/(Un)block street/Near you/Select Street to (un)block access for cars/

Laboriously find road by following main road until the side-road appears.

Move cursor so it is on top of subject side-road.

Done/Done.

Reply: "No corrections made."

I am certainly missing something here. What is it?

Are there instructions or a tutorial somewhere on how to do this?

It would be futile to try to find a road by name around here. Most roads have several names depending on what part of the road you are on.

I think all was well until your second "Done"...At that point in the process you should have seen a screen with the road you had just selected. If the right road is not selected there, click BACK and then try to re-select the right road. Assuming you have the right road selected, the screen should show the road and the 2 directions the road goes as currently unblocked as indicated by the blue circle & white arrows. Touch each of the direction indicators to change them to BLOCKED as indicated by the no-entry symbol...Then click Done.

A word of warning, while it sounds like you might want to block the whole road segment there are some roads, that due to the shape of the road, how it crosses other roads, and the way it is segmented on the map...blocking a particular piece of the road may block much more than intended. If the selected road segment extends beyond the range you really want to block and it would cause other things to get blocked, I would suggest reporting this as "other error" or reporting directly to TeleAtlas vs. blocking the whole thing and causing access to other roads to be blocked incorrectly.

Thank you dhn and Tim. I'll certainly download and read that tutorial, all five pages of it.

Tim, I did find my mistake, which was to ignore the second screen--the road direction one. When I blocked the road both ways, it accepted the change. However, that did not have the anticipated effect. When the route was recalculated, the closed road was still there, but the route had become much longer--three hours for about fifty miles. There are definitely still some problems.

Thank you both again for you help.

Ask a Question