How can I put a specific route into this POS?

I have read the "manual"

What a frakkin joke.

I know the route I want, but I need to program it in for my mother. Problem is this damn thing keeps ignoring the most direct route, and slings out routes 200 miles longer! I have been pulling my hair out, (head is now bald, working on my back now.) Why this thing does NOT have a manual inout mode amazes me!:mad::mad::mad:

What engineer does not put a manual override in a machine???:eek:

What model is your tomtom? Those with full menus offer Itinerary Planning. Those with EasyMenu do not.

But if you read through this thread, you'll see how to hack the application on some EasyMenu models to add it back.

It is an XL IQ Routes version. 340-S

I can unblock, but not BLOCK routes..WTH???
I attempted to use "via map point" but it will not save earlier pointmarks..,

Ya know I use a Garmin G1000, 530/430's with no problems. Even the Avdyine Entergra stuff is easy companred this is POS. I guess I got what I paid for. TIme to call my lawyer.

Your going to call your lawyer just because you can't figure out how to use your GPS? Wow, that is a new one. How about trying a program called Tyre, it works with google maps and will do just what you want. You can give it a shot while you are waiting for your court dates. :rolleyes:

Since the title of this post has you declaring the unit a POS, I don?t think your opinion is going to change no matter what kind of solutions are set forth in front of you. I agree with the above poster, call your lawyer (yea right!).

Apparently no one here got the sarcasm...

:rolleyes:

It just makes no sense not to have a manual route input or a way to not use a road. It appears that the units base programming forces US highways over more direct state routes.

I would just like to have a manual route input or an import feature.

Once a route is set, you can Avoid part of route and select to avoid a highway, for example.

Check the basics......Planning Preferences. Deselect everything except SHORTEST ROUTE. That will take the shortest direct route....will not be the fastest, though. Remember the unit is using IQ Routing which takes into account posted speed limits and traffic flow for different times of the day. Hence "US highways over more direct state routes" POSTED SPEED LIMITS.......

It is an XL IQ Routes version. 340-S
If all else fails, you can always build a very specific itinerary of waypoints for your preferred route, up to 48 points in an itinerary) and force your unit to pass by each and every one of them. Then you execute the itinerary instead of using "Navigate to". You need to be sure each point is dead on the center of the lane you're traveling so that the unit doesn't mistake a waypoint selection for a small detour at various points. Zoom up to be sure you've nailed it -- or use Home to create the itinerary where you've got finer touch with the mouse.

I have used this TomTom itinerary generator
to make an itinerary of waypoints to load into my TT xxl550.
Everything done with a mouse. First zoom all the way out on the map to see the earth then proceed to your location. There is a help button that explains how to load the waypoints into your TT.

I just tried 'TomTom's Itinerary Gen', but it avoids highways, freeways, Interstates. Completely useless for my wants. Can't find where to change this. I keep adding waypoints, and it gets me to those waypoints, but then takes me off the interstate again. Weird! :rolleyes:

Rick F, that is odd. I just downloaded a set of waypoints and then uploaded a set of waypoints that have I-75, I-4 , Turnpike, and 408 and works fine. I don't see any settings to change. Hmm, sorry it didn't work for you.

Rick F, that is odd. I just downloaded a set of waypoints and then uploaded a set of waypoints that have I-75, I-4 , Turnpike, and 408 and works fine. I don't see any settings to change. Hmm, sorry it didn't work for you.
No problem. When I have more time maybe there is a way to change a setting. But... according to the HELP menu on that site, it says,
  • "Using itineraries Use the "Itinerary planning" function of your TomTom. Set TomTom to avoid highways. The route indicated by your TomTom may be slightly different from the route indicated on this map. Use extra waypoints if you want to avoid this"
Like this is how the site is intended to be used for.

dhn,

Yes, I have Tyre and have used HOUGHI several times. They're ok, but the latest ver. of Tyre has some coding problems where - on my PC anyway - it really bogs down my computer with each added waypoint. Haven't tried the Tyre offered in HOME. Maybe it's different.

The HOUGHI works pretty well with Google maps.

Last edited:
No problem. When I have more time maybe there is a way to change a setting. But... according to the HELP menu on that site, it says,
  • "Using itineraries Use the "Itinerary planning" function of your TomTom. Set TomTom to avoid highways. The route indicated by your TomTom may be slightly different from the route indicated on this map. Use extra waypoints if you want to avoid this'" like this is how the site is intended to be used for.

I don't have TomTom set to avoid highways, I think that is there for "scenic tours" as described in the original post from the author
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-3rd-party-softwares/22865-new-route-planner-try-out.html

Getting TT to follow YOUR route

I, too, am quite frustrated with the fact that TT doesn't allow the manual input of routes, but I've come up with some "work-arounds."

I have a GO 740 Live, so I don't know if YOUR device would have the exact same functionality.

First, figure out the route TT wants you to take, then compare it to your own route (e.g., "Home to Work"). Locate an address about halfway along YOUR route and see if TomTom will generate the desired route to THAT point. Set THAT point as a favorite, naming it something like "0 Midpoint" (by putting a zero in front of the name, it should appear at the beginning of the "favorites" list). Then have TomTom plan the route from "Home to Work," and then have it "Travel VIA a Favorite." When it wants to know which favorite, specify "0 Midpoint" and it should follow YOUR route. If necessary, create multiple "midpoints."

You could also try "blocking" a couple strategically chosen roads that would make the TomTom pick YOUR route instead. If you DO "block" roads, please do NOT share those "blocks"--it could screw up other people's routes!

I did not expect very much from a GPS device (I've only had mine since late November, 2010, and I, too, know how to get where I need to go). I used to use a device called a "Trafficgauge" to monitor real-time traffic info in my area to know which route was best at a given time (you can see a video of it here: YouTube - TrafficGauge TV Commercial). Unfortunately, the service ended (visit http://www.trafficgauge.com/), so I had to find something else to show me live traffic data (I do not have, nor do I WANT, a "smartphone," and the traffic reports on the radio are usually worthless).

I have since been playing around with the TomTom, finding out what it can and cannot do, as well as learning how it handles different situations. Though it doesn't give me the live traffic info at a glance like the Trafficgauge did (TT requires some "fingertip" interaction) , it does have some very useful features (like finding a nearby business or address, as well as showing traffic info for some of the major SURFACE streets).

It's not PERFECT, but it's not a POS, either! The important thing is to match the technology (device model) to your needs--and also be aware of the limits of technology.

Last edited:

Ask a Question