How can I get TomTom to stay on main roads?

Reminds me of why a few of us refuse to give up our old Nav2 units (the ones that work with Home) like my trusty GO 740 Live! The itinerary feature is too important for some of our uses and the new models don't support it.

The new ones don't even support Itinerary????? You have to be joking?????

If that is the case, I will hang onto my 740/50

And on that point, the one I bought (secondhand) I bought as a 740, but if I hold the ON button down for long enough, it comes up with a heap of info, one of which says GO 750.
I assume it is in fact a 750?

[the one I bought (secondhand) I bought as a 740, but if I hold the ON button down for long enough, it comes up with a heap of info, one of which says GO 750.
I assume it is in fact a 750?

If it's a Go740 it will have a light sensor so it can progressively dim the screen as it gets dark (see brightness options)
If it's a Go750 it won't and there will only be an option to switch to night colours at a predetermined time it decides is dusk.

PhillT, This may be a solution for you:
Google Maps with GPS Tracker http://download.cnet.com/Google-Maps-with-GPS-Tracker/3000-12940_4-10494227.html

Quote:- "Golenfound's Google Maps with GPS Tracker is a small, free application that uploads your GPS position regularly via GPRS or 3G and then automatically updates your position on a Google Map display"

I may be wrong, but it reads as though you have to be connected to the Mobile Phone Network (2G, 3G etc) for it to work, which not only would be very expensive, but is of no use when out of range of cell towers, which is quite often the case in Outback Australia.

Still looking into Mapquest.
Cheers.

please let me know how it pans out with Mapquest. THX

I played around with the Mapquest maps for a while, and it didn't take long to see that the Australian map at least, is not nearly as detailed as google maps. There are a lot of smaller places that are just not marked on it at all. It would require working with both maps to plan routes.
Also, I don't have a Garmin to try it with, and I am not going to buy one just to see if it imports routes & keeps them intact.
If I come across someone with an early Garmin, I'll ask if I can try it, and post result here.

Ask a Question