House numbers and POI are all off

Is there a way to edit where POI are?
So far, every address I have tested my new 720 on were off, by a long shot. My home address shows up 100 yards or so down the road where a school sits. The school icon shows up about 100 yards further up the road. a couple houses i tested on were off by about the same and our church was off by half a mile (and the long drive leading up to my church wasn't even on there, and showed us driving off the map into nothing). I know there is mapshare, although I don't understand how I can actually edit the stuff. It would be nice to be able to drag and drop the POI icons to their correct location, or sit in my driveway and tell it that THIS is house number 84 instead of where it thinks 84 is...

The unit is a week old and I have already had problems with it (tech support had to have me format and reinstall everything from scratch) and no addresses or POI are in the right spot. This is testing locally, imagine if i was actually trying to find something in a place I am not familiar with!

What's the point of this thing if I can't actually find anything with it?

my mom's 2 year old Garmin has every address they have tested correct, shouldn't this as well?

FYI, this was happening when i purchased it with NA 705 maps and still does it after I had to format and then updated to NA 810 maps.

As much as I like the functionality of the unit, esp after enabling voice recognition, if it can't find anything correctly, what good is it? May have to return it and go with Garmin.

I have the same problem with addresses being way off and have sent detailed examples to TomTom about it. It seems to me to be a conversion issue.

I was camping 200 miles from home this past weekend and it showed the addresses off too. Some addresses are as much as 5 miles off. The longer the road the more off the addresses get.

From reading the manual you cannot make changes in the supplied POIs (should be possible with POIedit but I haven't tried that one). You can make changes easily with Tyre for the ones you created yourself and put in a new POI category. There is a detailed explanation in the Forum, search for it.
So far, every address I have tested my new 720 on were off, by a long shot. My home address shows up 100 yards or so down the road where a school sits. The school icon shows up about 100 yards further up the road. a couple houses i tested on were off by about the same and our church was off by half a mile (and the long drive leading up to my church wasn't even on there, and showed us driving off the map into nothing).
Before March of this year Google had my address exact.
When they switched to the 2008 Navteq maps they moved me 86 meters down the road.
Unfortunately, TomTom with the TeleAtlas map is the same.

Unless it is a mapped road, the drive to your church will not be shown, but you can make a POI and move the coordinates with Tyre and it will then tell you to turn and will show the end point.

You can do this (at least on the 730).
Main Menu
Map Corrections
Correct a map error
Edit POI
POI in city or POI near home
Choose city, POI
tap on SELECT
Last choice on the list is "Move the POI on the map"

That allows you to drag it to the correct location.

that is good to know, but really it doesn't help. If I know where it is then it really doesn't matter. At least if I leave it in the wrong place, then look up something else on the same road, it will still be off the same amount. Example: If I know where mcdonalds is and i get an address further down that road and it shows half a mile past mcdonalds, it will be right in that sense (it's palcement relative to where mcdonalds shows up), just not in the correct location, but i move mcdonalds down the road where it should be then when i look up that other address i will think it is 1 1/2 miles past mcdonalds because i moved mcdonalds from its "real" address

it's just frustrating, considering all the online map services are correct, including google, for everything i have ever had to look up, and my tomtom is incorrect on everything i have looked up so far, not just here in NC, but in my hometown in michigan.

Ask a Question