Home Made TomTom Shade - No Velcro!!!

The case on my unit tends to get very warm from the sun. It's not so bad during a drive because I occasionally divert cool air to the windscreen, but during a rest stop I sometimes leave the unit mounted.

Any thoughts on a sun shade for the top of the unit? I suppose it would have to be some sort of RF-transparent poly but also some material that won't itself degrade too quickly in the sun.

The case on my unit tends to get very warm from the sun. It's not so bad during a drive because I occasionally divert cool air to the windscreen, but during a rest stop I sometimes leave the unit mounted.

Any thoughts on a sun shade for the top of the unit? I suppose it would have to be some sort of RF-transparent poly but also some material that won't itself degrade too quickly in the sun.

Simply make one like mine and instead of a small piece of aluminium on the top to keep the shade in place, add a piece that covers the top with a hole for the button.

That looks as if it would work great on my GO 740 in my Miata. Used it the first time today and glare is a real problem with the top down. Worse depending on which direction you're driving at a particular time of day. How did you get everything so smooth and professional looking??? Great work.....

Thanks for the compliments. It took a couple of tries to get it right and I love working with my hands. With the top down you would need to make the top tab a little wider and use velcro on that tab to keep it in place.

It has worked great for me so far and I love it,:)

Plastic Shade

So would I but I could not find plastic that I could work with in this design. The aluminum is lighter or the same weight as plastic and with felt located on the mating surfaces there is no way it will scratch the GPS case..

Would a flexible cutting board or milk jug work?

Attachments

• flexboard.jpg
    flexboard.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 490
No as I would have a problem holding the shape. It could work if I modified it to work differently. However I love the one I have now.

So far there have been 9 requests for the pattern.

Now you have 10 requests for the pattern. Please share with me too.
Great job!

This sunshade is just what I need for my Tomtom One 125 SE. I sent you a PM for the pattern. Thanks

I was going through mu postings etc on this forum and found a few requests for the shade that I am not sure I replied to. If i have missed you please PM me your e-mail. Please do not leave messages on my profile as I do not get notifications when you do.

I would like to have your patter for the sun shade, but cannot send you an email as I haven't posted enough (odd rule). I would appreciate the pattern very much. You may send it to (e-mail address removed).
Thanks!

Not really, many forums have that rule in place to prevent spammers from joining and then spamming users privately with junk.

In any event, I've sent frieslander a message on your behalf.

I don't know whether he is still active here but, if he is, he'll see the message.

Hope this helps and welcome to TTF!

Hi,

Your shade looks great -

Please send me a pattern to the east coast - (e-mail address removed)

Thanks for your effort,

pr

Ask a Question