Home Made TomTom Shade - No Velcro!!!

I wanted a sun shade / shield that was easy to put in place and required no velcro or any other fastener, After browsing on the internet I did not find what I wanted but came up with some ideas.

Two pieces of aluminum , 2 popsicle sticks and some painting I had what I wanted. I still have to add a couple of pieces of felt once the paint dries hard enough for glue. I also have to get some flat black paint for inside the hood to stop reflections.

It just drops in place from the top and stays snug. The fellt is to be glued on the curved side pieces to prevent the TomTom unit from getting scratched.

The GPS is a TomTom One XL S 4.3"

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 6,265
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 3,577
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 3,737
  • IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,322
That's cute
I'd rather have plastic shade over metal one.

So would I but I could not find plastic that I could work with in this design. The aluminum is lighter or the same weight as plastic and with felt located on the mating surfaces there is no way it will scratch the GPS case.

I just did not want velcro to monkey around with, this thing just drops down from the top smooth as silk, Just lift it and it is off.

So would I but I could not find plastic that I could work with in this design. The aluminum is lighter or the same weight as plastic and with felt located on the mating surfaces there is no way it will scratch the GPS case.

I just did not want velcro to monkey around with, this thing just drops down from the top smooth as silk, Just lift it and it is off.

I can tell, it surely looks nice.

Very nice and looks big enough to help out, you'll have to tell us how it works.

Well I tried it out this afternoon. It works great but I made another mod by removing a little more material on each side near the bottom to give it a little more clearance.

I have it mounted with a gooseneck dash mount and it was a little close to the gearshift when it is in park. Taking 1/2" of material off each bottom corner at a 30 degree angle solved that problem.

The only other thing is that I have to spray some flat black paint on the inside as there is a bit of glare from the GPS screen itself. I have to wait for the paint to harden before I can do that.

I was going to glue some felt on the mating surfaces of the shade but instead I used self stick velcro loops. These were easier to put on than glue and are a little thicker than the felt. After a few adjustments it worked PERFECT.

It is so EASY to attach and remove but stays SNUGGLY in place when driving.

And I did not have to stick Velcro or anything else to my GPS!!!

glare shield

For $18 I don't know why anyone woulld not like a sunshade premade specific for your tomtom unit that uses a special velcro specfic with special adhisive for the heat. Works perfectly and fold on your unit to store. Can stay on tom tom all the time but is easily remove and putting back onto unit take maybe 30 seconds. I think its the best out their. The site is Glare Stopper - Glarestopper - Garmin Magellan TomTom GPS Device Unit Anti-Glare Accessories - Sun Shade Visor Navman Nuvi Streetpilot Maestro Zumo. 4. GlareStompers.com Checkout #4 is the best.. just wanted to add one thing make sure when adding your velcro to put your unit on your cradle before adding this velcro. The lower one inch of each side should not have velcro because of your cradle

Last edited:
For $18 I don't know why anyone woulld not like a sunshade premade specific for your tomtom unit that uses a special velcro specfic with special adhisive for the heat. Works perfectly and fold on your unit to store. Can stay on tom tom all the time but is easily remove and putting back onto unit take maybe 30 seconds. I think its the best out their. The site is Glare Stopper - Glarestopper - Garmin Magellan TomTom GPS Device Unit Anti-Glare Accessories - Sun Shade Visor Navman Nuvi Streetpilot Maestro Zumo. 4. GlareStompers.com Checkout #4 is the best

Yes I looked there too but did not like something that stays on all the time, Also I do not like velcro suck on my unit,

Also I like tinkering and making things.

Each to his own. :)

Last edited:
For $18 I don't know why anyone woulld not like a sunshade premade specific for your tomtom unit that uses a special velcro specfic with special adhisive for the heat. Works perfectly and fold on your unit to store. Can stay on tom tom all the time but is easily remove and putting back onto unit take maybe 30 seconds. I think its the best out their. The site is Glare Stopper - Glarestopper - Garmin Magellan TomTom GPS Device Unit Anti-Glare Accessories - Sun Shade Visor Navman Nuvi Streetpilot Maestro Zumo. 4. GlareStompers.com Checkout #4 is the best

It is the thrill of the challenge. I think it is a great idea.

And just to show I mean it .....I will accept a prototype to install on my tt.:D:cool::rolleyes:

I have one of those Glare Stompers, they work Ok when you get them unfolded but if it has been folded up for a month or so then they take awhile to remain in position.

I like the look of the OP's setup.

Hi,
I have the TT1xls. Any chance your design will fit?
Can I get instructions if so. Tnx
(e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question