Home location off 600 meters

My present position on 510 is off by 600 meters. My location on the screen shows I am on another street 600 meters from my street although home location input is correct. Is there any way to fix this calibration? Thanks.

Is your house location off while sitting on your driveway or inside the house? Even if you get 4 satellites inside a building, the position accuracy of GPS is going to suffer due to RF signal multipath and also degraded power levels which introduce possible errors in the data decoding received from the satellites to calculate your position on earth.
If it is off in position on your driveway, then make a mark or POI in your Tomtom and verify that when you navigate back from work to that POI it always gives you a consistent results in the position; my belief it will. The digital map is probably erroneous for your house location in this case.
You can also check you house location in Google Earth and see what it looks like. Yet another thing that you can do is record the latitude and longitude given by your Tomtom device and plug it into Google Earth and see how far off that looks. I could almost bet you that nothing will agree; digital maps are not perfect.
The bright side of all of this is, if you would happen to ever lose your Tomtom and somebody try to steal from your house using the address location reported by your device, you would be happy that the thing is 600 meters off but not the neighbor living 600 meters away from you that would receive the unwanted visit. Hope this helps.

If you mean that TomTom's version of your street address doesn't match up with the actual location of your house, it could just be an inaccuracy in the map. I don't know how they go about determining house numbers when they make the maps, but it could perhaps involve a mathematical interpolation that just doesn't work out quite right everywhere along the street.

My ONE puts my street address just a bit farther up the street than my actual location, and since I usually tend to approach the house from the other direction it would never tell me that I had arrived. So I took a GPS shot from my driveway and set that location as Home. It's worked fine ever since.

Map Inaccuracies

If you mean that TomTom's version of your street address doesn't match up with the actual location of your house, it could just be an inaccuracy in the map. I don't know how they go about determining house numbers when they make the maps, but it could perhaps involve a mathematical interpolation that just doesn't work out quite right everywhere along the street.

My ONE puts my street address just a bit farther up the street than my actual location, and since I usually tend to approach the house from the other direction it would never tell me that I had arrived. So I took a GPS shot from my driveway and set that location as Home. It's worked fine ever since.

I haven't found ANY digital map that has my house in the right place. Google Maps, Virtual Earth, NavTeq (Magellan 300 and Acura in-car nav), and TeleAtlas (Go 510) ALL show my house number as being at the other end of the cul-de-sac I live on. Same thing is true for most addresses; they all get you close, but none are perfect. :eek:

Ask a Question