Home doesn't see SD Card

TomTom Model(s)
920T
OK, it's late! I read through many posts but so far I have not found a solution.

I have a 820T OS 8.01 and Maps 8.10 and TT Home 2.4

I have a 2GB SD (SanDisk) card in the 920, but every time I connect it to the PC, windows can see both the TT Hard Drive and the SD card. TT Home only sees the Hard Drive. I have formatted the card both in the 920 and through a card reader. I have formatted using FAT and FAT32, no joy.

I moved the MP3 file from the hard drive to the card, put the card in the 920 and it reconised the card and also allowed me to play the mp3`s. Still Home will not recognise it. I have tried a different card, but with no success.

I have tried ?nitialising the card (put blank card in 920 then powering it on) still no go. Any ideas please:confused:

Time for some sleep!!

I would maybe do a full backup using explorer or tomtom home of the TomTom Device. Then upgrade to NavCore v8.3 and see if that helps. I have a 4GB SanDisk SD (FAT32) in my 920 and had no problems even with NavCore v810.

My modow is normaly if it aint broke dont fix it. But in this case something is broke wetherit be the NavCore that is installed on your 920 or the SD stick itself. I would think its the NavCore on the device.

As long as you have a good working backup what the worst that can happen.

MrChris

Tried the 8.3 update, exactly the same problem. Home is still not seeing the SD card, but TomTom is.

What does Home display when it regognises the card, and when is the option to use the card or hard drive given

If Home sees the card, then when you first start Home with the unit docked, you'll see a screen in Home asking whether to use internal or external storage. You then click 'select' beside the appropriate choice.

OK, so its an obvious screen message, not some little tick box in the corner, so I shouldn't be able to miss it.:rolleyes:

The only other reason I can think of that it doesn't work is that I am using VISTA Ultimate :eek: but home won't run unless I run it under XP SP2 compatibility mode. If I run it with out the compatibility mode set I get a

HOMERuntime.exe failed with error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Problem Solved

I phoned TomTom support (with some trepidation after previous encounters) and was pleasantly surprised to hook up with a friendly courteous and knowledgeable guy name Tim.

It appears my problem was with running Home in Vista under XP compatibility mode. I was given a set of instructions (attached) to work around the issue, and now all is good. Home can see my SD card, and access it. In addition my el cheapo (19$ Cdn) Duracell 8GB card works just fine with all 8GB available :D

At the same time I asked for the v8.15 N. American and W.Europe maps to be made available for download. This has previously led to a drawn out and sometimes heated discussion, today it was just a matter of Tim reviewing my previously submitted proof of purchase and asking me to confirm the units serial number.

A very positive experience from TomTom!!

Attachments

• TomTom Home Vista Fix.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
Glad to hear it's resolved and also glad you got a knowlegeable Support person. They DO exist!:eek:

I did notice that my shortcut target was as below
"C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOME.exe"""
I simply deleted the 2 extra "" and all worked great.
I don't know why target came up like this and I didn't use the .bat file target. I am running a vlited Vista Home premium 32 bit.

Btw I am not impling the .bat file method doesn't work just that I noticed a solution myself.
Hope this may help somebody else.

Cheers Edd

Last edited:

Ask a Question