Hmmm... new LIVE models?

I guess we'll now see 'eager beavers' trying to install the firmware on lower models .... just to see what results. Happens every time. :)

And to warn the eager beavers: This firmware contains a bootloader change. Bootloader changes are irreversible so any problems it creates by installing it on an incompatible model tomtom cannot be undone.

Yes, a lower-priced connected TomTom model plan was already confirmed yesterday during a TT market call with analysts. Just my view, but expect the basic functionality to be in line with the new 140's, with added "live" features, pricing around $299, with at least one other model to be released. (Just readin' between the lines folks). Don't expect it here until the fall, but probably released for the Netherlands and UK within 60 days or less. But the only confirmed facts are that TT does plan a mid-range connected PND, and soon. Rally not much choice as they've committed to a subscription model to make up for slow device sales. With subscription renewals only running at around 30% for the already released 740/940 models, there's no way I see for them to get any significant, ongoing revenue stream without a LOT more live devices in user hands. With revenue off more than 30% compared to ist qtr/08, over 60% decrease since 4th qtr/08, and liabilities only going up, they cannot allow their planned business model to fail. Thus get "cheap" connected devices out there and hope for a significant percentage of buyers to sign on the the subscriptions. Just my take.

Now we'll see how close I am:D

The XL HD's been old news in the Netherlands:
TomTom ONE XL HD -- NaviGadget

Hopefully this is coming to the US. The XL-IQ software was released about 3-4 weeks ahead of the XL-IQ announcement, hopefully we're not that far here.

The easiest subscription revenue will come from HD traffic antenna sales. If they're no longer worried about cannibalizing 740 sales, it will be priced in the range that many people can buy on. Hope their new subscription-focused strategy means this is coming up.

Also, not selling a 940 in the US is stupid. The 740 is already priced for the enthusiast/high end user. And compromising by not having the best tomtom features (740 has no EPT, and less POI) really turns off a potential range of buyers. Hope tomtom changes their mind on this also. Even if priced at $100 more, a 940 should still outsell a 740 in the US.

I haven't checked the financial pages of tomtom yet - hopefully the audio of the call is published already.

I totally expected TomTom to have a change of heart and release the add-on sim adapter for the x30's (that they already designed months ago!). Even posted that at another forum back several weeks. Now it appears that's not going to happen. I guess they determined that selling a new device rather than enabling ones already sold would result in more revenue.

On a side-note, pm me with a contact. I'd like to discuss a couple of things off-forum if it's OK

You would uncompress the cab file and install the contents as firmware on the unit BUT I would suggest you do not bother to do so if you do not have a 740 unit.

You don't know what you might 'break' by doing so. Yes, it's possible to do an Explorer backup first but the new application will boost the bootloader value and, once done, that cannot be returned to a lower value.

Ask a Question