high resolution icons

Hi I'm new to the forums and have tried searching already, but this is all still a little confusing to me.

I have been adding some personalized POI categories, consisting of their OV2 and associated BMP files. Now I've been simply drawing 22x22 or 24x24 bmp files with paint, and they've been working great.

My problem lies in the "recent POI" menu (the menu showing the last 4 POI categories). Any original POI icon featured here shows up in at least 48x48 resolution. For some reason my own icons will show up gray and slightly distorted. How do I fix this?

I'm assuming there's some place where TomTom is storing a higher resolution version of the bmp files, and upscaling my files there.

I don't think it is possible to change this behaviour. All tomtom's own POIs show a higher-resolution image in the menus. I assume that all the images (large and small) associated with their own POIs must be buried in the system software somewhere, because they are not present as separate files.

Custom POIs have their own .bmp in the map folder, these must be either 22x22 or 24x24. When displaying these in the menu, they are upscaled. I know of no way to get around this. Good luck trying though....

Greyed icons fixed

Thanks for the response. I figured there was no way around it. I have fixed the grey color and distortion problem by simply using a different color.

Upscaling will just be something we have to live with. Not that it's a big problem at all, I just hate not being in total control. :D

I take it all back! dhn posted a link to another forum which links to a TomTom page describing exactly how to do what you asked:

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/TomTomTips/index.html?creating_poi_set_icon.htm

It is soooo simple it is laughable. You just need to create 2 .bmps for each .ov2, one at 22x22 and one at 44x44. Just add _X2 to the end of the file name of the larger one. Job done. No more upscaling!!

E.g.: hunter3.ov2, hunter3.bmp and hunter3_X2.bmp

:)

icons resolved

You and DHN have my thanks and reps. I appreciate that you actually remembered this thread. http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/TomTomTips/index.html?creating_poi_set_icon.htm is a great resource and I'll be sure to read up on the rest of their tips. Hopefully some poor person in the future will search and find this thread.

P.S. Icons can appear on dark or light area?s on the map so your icon might not stand out clearly everywhere. Therefore it?s wise to add a light line around a dark icon and vice versa. Also, if you use a red background for your icon: RGB: 255, 0, 0; this will turn transparent on the device.

(Explains why my red icons weren't showing up so well)

Ask a Question