Hesitating 910

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
I used my tomtom 910 on a trip of about 500 miles. During the trip I first noticed tomtom seemed to be lost at times. It would direct me to take a turn off a major highway only to bring me back to the same highway. Then the mp3 player started hesitating. I noticed this took placed because the tt keep recalculating driving. I shut down the mp3 player and the unit still would suddenly recalculate. I was on I-75 going north and there were no construction detours. Turned the unit off while eating and the unit seemed to be ok for the last 100 miles. Anyone else experienced this?

I used my tomtom 910 on a trip of about 500 miles. During the trip I first noticed tomtom seemed to be lost at times. It would direct me to take a turn off a major highway only to bring me back to the same highway. Then the mp3 player started hesitating. I noticed this took placed because the tt keep recalculating driving. I shut down the mp3 player and the unit still would suddenly recalculate. I was on I-75 going north and there were no construction detours. Turned the unit off while eating and the unit seemed to be ok for the last 100 miles. Anyone else experienced this?

I have had tomtom direct me into an apartment complex, drive around the building and then exit and continue on my route.

This all sounds like the old *shortest vs. fastest route" in the preferences menu. Ff you select the shortest, it will take you on and off the same highway and through suspect "shortcuts".

I friend with a 510 was directed off and then back on Route 99 a number ogf times here in CA until she changed the shortest route preference to the fastest - then it settled down. TomTom has a fix of the GPS program needed to limit re-routing of the shortest route off of main roads unless there is a significant mileage savings involved.

Shortest will still take you through city centers instead of around beltways if you select shortest, but that will then be a judgment call of the user.

Possibly but I think this is different. Often I suggest I go where there is not even a road. The problem appears only when I am using the tomtom mp3 player and as a gps unit also. The unit seems to hesitate, will stop playing the mp3, recalculate but seems to not be exactly sure where it is. Perhaps the difference in distance from where I was when the unit glitched and where I am when it attempts to recalculate. This only happens when the unit has been on and working for several hours. Tonight as I was returning it was about the sixth or seventh hour before it started. I just stopped the mp3 and switched to my ipod. It settled down immediately. Got a feelng this is hard drive related.

TT Support just advised me to be sure I had the latest and greatest firmware and software which I do. Still waiting a followup response.

Something similar happened to me Thanksgiving weekend in Tennessee, and I forgot to report it to the forum: I had asked the 910 for a route from Dickson to ...I think it was Waverly...basically on US 70, and it sent me off on a side road, then a narrower road, then a narrower yet road, and onto a two-track that ended in a cow pasture. I had decided to let the silly thing lead me where it wanted, since I had time to spare. And my final destination off US70 was almost onto a two-track, and the 910 did fine getting me there, once I got back to 70.
But I guess I'd better check the faster vs shorter setting.

The fastest or shortest route can also be changed while a route is in plan.
Select, find alternative and then select calculate alternative and it will bring up the type of route should be planned.

TT support seems to feel that the problem is with the method I loaded mp3s into my 910. I used TT home and the manage music there. TT support suggests that I open tt on the computer and drag and drop the mp3 files. I have not done this but will and log a report on the results.

Ask a Question