Help with map update

Qai

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730T
Hi again
I am going to update my map, do I get a 4gb sd card and will it load onto that and work in my tomtom, or do I update it onto the device hard drive. Or is it best to buy a new map and put it on a 4gb sd card ??.
I have a 730t
I dont have a clue how to do this

Copy the contents of the device memory to the PC then copy the whole lot to a 4GB (or larger) SD card (the device will support cards up to and including 32GB in capacity).

Once everything is on the memory card pop the card in a card reader and use TomTom Home to update the map, this way you will get the full Western_Europe map rather than the rather stupid zonal maps they offer which would degrade the capability of the device - Mike

thanks
do you mean that I use windows explorer and put all info from the tomtom device into a file, then stick it on a sd card
I told you i dont know anything LOL

Yes, that's what Mike means. But to be clear, copy the entire contents of the unit to a folder on the computer (call it whatever you want). Then copy the CONTENTS of the folder to the sd card (so the results will be that when you look at the unit's contents and the sdhc card's contents, they will be mirror images of each other.

You do NOT want to copy the Folder itself on the computer to the sdhc card.

Folder on computer--->tt folder
---->tt folder
---->tt folder, etc.
----->loose file (not in a folder)
----->loose file (not in a folder)
----->loose file (not in a folder) etc.

The folder in red should not be copied to the sdhc card.

Great I have got that now. thanks

so the sd card with the new update will take over ? so what happens to the stuff on the hard drive, or do i delete the hard drive stuff ?

You can leave the data in the internal memory if you want to as it won't harm anything, when the device boots up it first of all looks at the memory card slot, if it finds the Navcore software it will boot using the memory card and ignore whats on the device memory.
You will have to select the new map though from Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch map once you have the new stuff installed as maps can be installed to either the memory card or the internal flash memory - Mike

thanks I have it now
this is a great forum
1 last Q
can i update the flash memory as well just in case the sd card goes faulty

As you will have a copy of everything on the card on your computer you can soon load it all to another memory card in the event of yours packing up, to be honest the built in memory is more probable to fail than a decent SDHC memory card.
The new maps are larger than the built in memory on the device so putting a copy on the device simply isn't possible without resorting to the zonal map regions which mean less coverage than what you currently have - Mike

Ask a Question