Help with full backup to Go730

Can someone here be so kind and help me find a full backup to my go 730.

I was going to update it and by misstake I erased everything on it and did not make a copy so now the gps is just laying here...

Can someone now help me find a hole / full backup to my 730.

You can answer me by mail: (e-mail address removed)

Welcome to TTF.

Use Explorer to see what is on your unit? Do you see a North_America map with files in it?

What were you trying to update? A map?

Look here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Do you see a map in compressed (cab) format?

Report your findings please.

I have nothing on it now, it is formated in fat32, so the head unit is blank and so is the sd card.

I need everything new....

So if someone here has a 730 who can make a copy of everything ( maps not so importend because i live in sweden) but the main program is importend.

Connect the unit to Home. You should be offered an application. Download and install on the unit. It should be 8.351. But, even so, you'll still need to purchase a map if you have no backup.

Or you can download the 8.351 application here and use WinRar to install on the unit.

Additional computer voices, etc, (except the map) can be downloaded free using Home.

So i just download this version and unpack it on my computer, after that i will transfer it to the head unit or to the sd card?

After this is done I will connect to HOME and install voices,speedcameras etc.

If you use a sdhc card (NOT a sd card), make sure it is a reliable brand with the fastest speed (class 6 or above) and at least 4 gb.

Yes, you can install the application on the card, insert the card and the unit will boot from the card.

BUT, most people install the application on the internal unit itself and save the card (if they use it) for stuff like mp3 files and additional maps.

I'd install on internal myself. Still not sure what map you plan to use but you can connect to Home once the application is installed and download voices. I'd put them on internal and put the map on the card. If you use 4 gb + in size, will have lots of room on the card for the map.

Now I gave tryed to put the files on the 730 but it stuck on the data.chk file, why does it do like this? I have formatted it in fat32 so everything on it should be gone by now.

Were you trying to use Explorer to do the copying? And what do you mean 'stuck'?

yes i was, i was going to extrack files to: then i selected the tomtom device and it started to unpack the files but when it came to data.chk i was stuck and nothing more happend just error...

That file is NOT a recovered file fragment, if Windows reporets that. It is a VITAL file written in linux code for the operation of the unit.

How did you get the application? Through Home or through the direct link I provided in a previous post?

I get it from the link you posted, before that I had tryed to update trough HOME but the same thing happend there, when it comes to data.chk it just stoped and after 5 min it says error.

So i think that the data.chk file is still in the head unit and won?t go away when I make a format, if I can take way that file from the unit it should be no problem to transfer all the files like this: Unzip to: then i select the F: that is my tomtom device.

TRy this:

Start-->Run-->cmd

and in the box that opens, chkdsk x: /f where x: represents the drive of your unit (I presume f: from your post).

Now its done, and the result is 2 051 014 656 byte total
2 051 010 560 availible

So as we can see there is something more there but it will not go away after format.

Tryed today to put in a map on the head unit, it didn?t go, just error after a while, last night i did transfor the main program to the sd card and that worked, but not if I would like the head program on the head unit, then it?s like all the other times.. error, data.chk

So now i have the main program on the sd card and would like the map on the unit, but that will not work... what the f*** is wrong with this unit???

It sounds as if the internal flash memory may be shot. For your model, everything will work if stored on a sdhc card. Application, maps, mp3 files, everything.

Now I have tryed clear flash and that doesn?t work either.
Still the same ****, stuck at data.chk transfer in HOME

So I have to have everything on the sd card to get it to work and that isn?t so funny, better to trough this away because now i am really tired of this.

So it has to go under the hammer.

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:
If everything works when on a sdhc card and nothing on internal, then to be blunt, you're bloody stupid to junk the thing.

There are many people running their unit precisely that way; further, if the sdhc card is a class 6 speed or higher, things will run FASTER than if everything is on internal.

But, it's your money..........:rolleyes:

My gosh, he thrashed a Go 730, while the poor me had to live 4 years with a 510 which run only on a SD. It's still going strong after going thru a few SD, but the mount quit.
By the way I've just treat myself the luxury of a 730, on sale at Best Buy for 130$.

Ask a Question