HELP... voice commands for VIA 125

TomTom Model(s)
XL
Hi Guys,

Thanks for looking at my post. :)

I have brought a VIA 125 Europe but cant seeem to find or get the 'voice command' option to work for me. I have noticed what voice commands are avaliable whilst tapping the screen and going to 'Help/Product Manuals/What Can I Say' BUT .... getting it to does such things has puzzeled me for over three days now. :confused:

I have googeled it and even tried to download the .pdf file user manual from the TOMTOM web site, which just crashes. :mad:

Arrrrhhhh, please will somone help and tell me what buttons to press to use the device 'hands-free option' and how to get that little icon with the microphone on the screen that i can only assume is the key to my problem. ;)

I wait in anticipation for your help, as it this rate i'll have no hair left or nails to bite, lol. :)

Thanks again, Jon

Thank you for the quick reply BUT again i've tried the link you have given and the document will not load it just keeps on saying there is a problem downloading do i wish to reload, I obviously select YES but time and time again the same download problem persits over and over again. :mad:

When you say "also, you MUST use a computer voice for VC to work" im using the standard UK voice that was installed prior to purchase, which is Jane (UK), is this not a computer voice? If not how do i get one? :confused:

Also, how do i get the 'microphone' icon showing on the main screen? :confused:

Thanks again for your help so far, Jon :)

Last edited:
That is strange about the problem downloading... what browser are you using?

Jane is a computer voice, I think..... if you go to Voice options, it should say 'computer' after any voices that are so.

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds or so?

I think there is a custom menu icon where you can select Voice Command or something like that. If so, and that is the only one selected, the microphone should appear on the main screen.

The browser is Internt exploer 8, i think (but its the lastest whatever it is). Could that be the download problem? :confused:

As you told me I have reset all and pressed the on/off button for over 10 seconds to reset, pain in the ass to put all my prefered requirments back in though, but i've done it. :eek:

Dispite a FULL resent no option for the microphone icon is found BUT using the custom mode the 'microphone' icon appears and works. Therefore surely thers has to be a method in the standard mode without doing the custom mode. :mad:

I'll keep hanging in on there using the standard method and hope someone can tell me the alternative. ;)

As yet thank you very much for your help so far and i hope this small problem can be sorted by you and I or another user from the site. :D

Jon

ADMINISTRATIORS PLEASE - keep this thread on going unitl the microphone feature has been sorted.

I have also forgot to say the microphoen feature needs a computer voice and the only one on the device is Agata who is Polski. For English i need Daniel or Emily.

Do you or anyone know how i can download to get them please.

Thank you, Jon

The application is designed to get the microphone icon via the custom menu mode. Period.

The link I provided should open up the manual online. If you want to save a copy to your hard rive, there is a Save icon on the top menu.

You do have Adobe Reader installed on your computer, do you not?

Yes I have an up-to date Adobe Reader installed on your computer, so i dont know what happening but i will persist with it never-the-less. :D

Just thinking here as TOMTOM Home does not, asyet, reconise the Via models how am i to install the UK computer voices or get them? :confused:

Any ideas?

Jon

Now THAT is the 64 million dollar (pound in your case) question.........

You can't as yet download voices using the web based interface.

But some voices came with your unit originally, did they not?

Just thinking here as TOMTOM Home does not, asyet, reconise the Via models how am i to install the UK computer
Sorry to come in sideways on this conversation, but did you mean "TomTom Home"? Did you have a previous model that caused you to say that? The Via uses MyTomTom instead, doesn't it? If you had a previous TomTom, you will have had Home loaded, but don't expect it to recognize one of these new devices. You'll have to use the new application that came with it.

OOOpppps.....:eek:

Good catch there........
Might explain why his device isn't being "recognized". Guess we'll have to wait to hear back, but I'm betting he had a previous model and thought... would explain a couple of things.

Thanks for another input from another user, so how do i go about getting an English, Irish, or/and American computer voice on the device so i can understand whats it's telling me as, i dont understand 'Polski' language... :(

What more baffeling is that when the device is linked via a USB lead to my computer, it does not show in the display of 'My Computer', why is that? :confused:

What more baffeling is that when the device is linked via a USB lead to my computer, it does not show in the display of 'My Computer', why is that? :confused:
You're clearly accustomed to the "old way" that TT hooked up to computers. Previously it connected as an 'external drive', and TomTom Home addressed it accordingly.

The "new way" is to address it as an IP device. It will not show up as an external storage device, and you cannot use TomTom Home to talk to it. MyTomTom is required.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/mytomtom/getstarted/

That said, there's still not a lot of functionality available. They released the device before the application was really ready. They're also having trouble with map updates bricking units (just read around the threads here in this section), so they've ceased releasing the 860 map for these units for the time being. They promise more functions by the end of the month.

What more baffeling is that when the device is linked via a USB lead to my computer...
And just to clarify, it's possible to IP style connections over USB. There are even some cable and DSL modems that provide a USB connection to the computer, but these (like the new TomTom series) use "bridge" software on your PC to move the data across what normally would be a piece of network cable over the USB instead.

Ask a Question