Help, useless ONE at the moment.

My mother just gave me a ONE that she bought a couple years ago. I don't believe it's a ONE anything like ONE XL..etc..etc...Just a plain old TomTom ONE. Although, I do believe it's a 2nd edition of the TomTom ONE.

She says she never used it, however, she cannot find the SD card that came with it.

My question is....Does the plain old ONE require the SD card to work? Whenever I turn it on, it's asking for me to put in the card and won't do anything else. I've put in a blank one I bought and it tells me to take it out.

Sorry for the newbie questions...but, I'm getting no answers at the retail levels and before I go spending the $60 clams ordering the apparently "special" and ridiculously expensive SD card from TomTom I figured I'd ask those in the know...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My one 2nd edition will work without the SD card, but it still needs the map and program on the internal memory.

If you plug it in and browse it like a disk drive is there anything on it?

The One v2 has a 1 gb internal memory. Does your unit definitely have "TomTom One" written on the bottom?

Older models had everything on the SD card and had no internal memory. Is your unit rounded and bulky, or is it slim and can fit in your shirt pocket?

If you really do have a One v2, then the internal memory seems to have been wiped clean. But this is strange if the unit has never been used.

Try to describe your unit to us, including the color.

Ok, forgive me everyone.. I know better and should have spent just a little more time searching your forum for the answers I needed.

Thanks to one of you, I managed to find and download a copy of the software that was apparently missing from my ONE. All is well and working now.

But, to answer your questions... it is indeed a ONE vs. 2 It's the more streamlined one that's silver and dark grey-possibly even black *(I think, I'm color-blind)* But, it would easily fit in my shirt pocket.

I have no idea why my unit would have had it's memory blasted like that. I know it was purchased at Circuit City, however, knowing the bargain hunter my mother is..it's entirely possible she found this one as an open box item and just never bothered to look at it once she bought it. She bought it for a up and comming roadtrip that was cancelled shortly after she made her purchase.

Anyway, thanks again. I have no doubt I'll have further questions as I learn my way around this thing.

Ask a Question