Help! USA Map missing

Hi. I just purchased my tomtom 2 days ago, yesterday I took it to a store worked fine, I hooked it up to the TT Home to update my map. On the software, it first tried to install and failed. So I tried again and it said it downloaded and installed, but it was also alot faster than it determined. So I've looked at the map and it just shows empty land, rather than the roads it usually showed... so I zoomed out. And it says some foreign names... So I went to check the map switch and only Guam is listed.

I've tried to do a hard reset on the device itself, but the map is still gone. It keeps popping up error accessing file on device or something. Does this mean I've screwed it up or is the model defective?? I'm not sure. Please help. Much appreciated.

:confused:

Don't know what model you are using - my recent experience was in setting up a 720 for friends.

You should have done a full backup first, and then had it download the installed map to TomTom home (it is easily re-installed without having to do a full restore). If you have not done either or both, you still should be able to install the new map (I am assuming it was the new map guarantee - I installed map version 720 on a unit that had 710 installed out of the box).

With the device connected to your computer and using Windows explorer, see what map folders are on the unit, and also in your documents under TomTom Home/downloads/maps - if your new map is there. If your old map is still on the unit, you might just have to remove it to get the new one installed.

If it is there, see if it shows up in Home under "Copy to Computer". if so, do it and then remove it from the device through Home also. If it is not visible through Home (but you can see it in Windows explorer), cut and paste it to a safe place. Then make sure you are logged on under the account you had to use to do the map upgrade, and go to "Update your Device" (logging on will take you straight there if you have not already logged on)

If it has been downloaded, it would not take long to install. If it has not, the new map is available to download and install from the account it was ungraded/purchased through for one year, so if you old map is been removed, it should download and install it.

Hi. I just purchased my tomtom 2 days ago, yesterday I took it to a store worked fine, I hooked it up to the TT Home to update my map. On the software, it first tried to install and failed. So I tried again and it said it downloaded and installed, but it was also alot faster than it determined. So I've looked at the map and it just shows empty land, rather than the roads it usually showed... so I zoomed out. And it says some foreign names... So I went to check the map switch and only Guam is listed.

I've tried to do a hard reset on the device itself, but the map is still gone. It keeps popping up error accessing file on device or something. Does this mean I've screwed it up or is the model defective?? I'm not sure. Please help. Much appreciated.

:confused:

Have you tried from TT Home adding maps and go to last page and add items from my computer and then click on maps and see if NA is there as an option to download ?

the model i have is a tomtom go 720. i'm not exactly sure if i'll be able to recover but i did back everything on their software prior to updating. so i might be able to roll back. i'm hoping.

i will try what was said here once i get home. thanks!

the model i have is a tomtom go 720. i'm not exactly sure if i'll be able to recover but i did back everything on their software prior to updating. so i might be able to roll back. i'm hoping.

i will try what was said here once i get home. thanks!

If you do manage to restore successfully, please now make a full backup using Explorer, not Home. Make sure you have Windows set to show hidden files/folders as well as extensions for known file types.

no, i can't restore. omg! this just sucks.

i go into explorer. in maps, there is only guam listed.

i went into the TT HOME and i looked in what is on the device. and there is a map of usa in this other section, i don't remember what it said. right now i'm running the install for the map guarantee thing and it's taking 1.5 hours. it's still going.

no, i can't restore. omg! this just sucks.

i go into explorer. in maps, there is only guam listed.

i went into the TT HOME and i looked in what is on the device. and there is a map of usa in this other section, i don't remember what it said. right now i'm running the install for the map guarantee thing and it's taking 1.5 hours. it's still going.

Ok........

First, true downloads of maps do take a long time, hours in many cases.

Understand that installation of maps using Home (the only way) is a 2 step approach: first, the map is downloaded to the download/map folder you have in home's folder preferences; next, home starts the install to your unit.

Hopefully, things will work ok.

ok it finished downloading, then when it's about to install my computer is full. i'm about to go nuts. does this mean i have to download the whole thing in order to just in stall what it has downloaded? or can i just move this over?

ok it finished downloading, then when it's about to install my computer is full. i'm about to go nuts. does this mean i have to download the whole thing in order to just in stall what it has downloaded? or can i just move this over?

Be precise with the message. Is the computer full or did it say there is not enough room on the UNIT to install it?

If the latter, you can mess around deleting files from the cab (compressed) map file but my STRONG suggestion is to go get yourself a 4 gig sdhc card, install it and let Home install the map to the sd card.

Be precise with the message. Is the computer full or did it say there is not enough room on the UNIT to install it?

If the latter, you can mess around deleting files from the cab (compressed) map file but my STRONG suggestion is to go get yourself a 4 gig sdhc card, install it and let Home install the map to the sd card.

No, my computer is full. My C drive is full, and the installation errored out. So now I have a finished downloaded map, but I can't install it. Is there a way to do this without having to sit anothe 1.5 hours to redownload what I already have?

ok here's what it says when i look on what's on the device

http://i26.tinypic.com/o07bso.jpg

i'm not sure where that usa map is.

I suspect your c: drive is not full even though you are seeing an error message saying it is. Do this. See a 'My Computer' icon on your desktop? Double click it. See reference to a c: drive? Right click the icon. You should see a chart showing used/unused space.

If indeed it is full, you have more problems than just a lack of a map installation, I'm afraid :(

By the way, that 'usa' reference you see is not a map. It's an overlay file similar to a satellite view of the usa. (Think google earth)

I suspect your c: drive is not full even though you are seeing an error message saying it is. Do this. See a 'My Computer' icon on your desktop? Double click it. See reference to a c: drive? Right click the icon. You should see a chart showing used/unused space.

If indeed it is full, you have more problems than just a lack of a map installation, I'm afraid :(

By the way, that 'usa' reference you see is not a map. It's an overlay file similar to a satellite view of the usa. (Think google earth)

yes the computer is full. i'm 100% sure. well the TT HOME says it's finished downloading, then right when it's about to install, it says it can't because my computer is full

yes the computer is full. i'm 100% sure. well the TT HOME says it's finished downloading, then right when it's about to install, it says it can't because my computer is full

By chance do you have your Hard drive partitioned if so you could move the TomTom files and there contents to another drive . Just open up tomtom Home tools/ home preferances and click on folder preferance then for each folder just change to a folder on a different drive and check the box move contents to new folder.

Just a suggesion!

If your map completely downloaded to your computer, even if your c: drive is full, it should not stop you from installing - it is going on another "drve" (the TomTom.

Check the TomTom with windows explorer and see how much room is free. The North American 720 map (I am assuming that was the map update) will take close to 1.6 gb. If you only have a few MB available, check to see if the old N. American map is really still there.

If it is not, and you don't have enough room (which would be surprising, as the updated map is smaller then the 710 version that probably came with your unit), then you might really need to get a larger SD card - the SDHC 4 gb cards work good. It may fail on the installation if it does not have enough room.

Also, with windows explorer -check to see if the map shows up under the TomTom Home downloads folder. If it is smaller then 1.57GB, it might be incomplete. Also see if you have duplicates and get rid of any to free up space on your computer).

thanks for the responses.

yes i do have a partition and i installed the software in the other partition thinking that it would automatically place the downloads and such in that partition, my idiocracy for assuming. i just moved all the files over, installed it via the add map option from adding from computer, and it still didn't work. so i decided to call tomtom to see what the deal was... he said there is a faulty problem so he will include it in my update and now i can't connect to the GO update. it keeps erroring out... oh gosh this is not fun

i currently have 1700mb about 1.7gb free space on the tomtom, and i have a 2gb card in for now until i buy the 4gb.

thanks for the responses.

yes i do have a partition and i installed the software in the other partition thinking that it would automatically place the downloads and such in that partition, my idiocracy for assuming. i just moved all the files over, installed it via the add map option from adding from computer, and it still didn't work. so i decided to call tomtom to see what the deal was... he said there is a faulty problem so he will include it in my update and now i can't connect to the GO update. it keeps erroring out... oh gosh this is not fun

i currently have 1700mb about 1.7gb free space on the tomtom, and i have a 2gb card in for now until i buy the 4gb.

When you moved your files over did you use windows Explorer or did you go to TomTom Home and in Tools / Preferences / folder options and change the path & folders to your new folder in your partitioned drive ?
if you use the TT Home to do this any future downloads will go to you new location.

When you moved your files over did you use windows Explorer or did you go to TomTom Home and in Tools / Preferences / folder options and change the path & folders to your new folder in your partitioned drive ?
if you use the TT Home to do this any future downloads will go to you new location.

initially i've done it thru windows, then i went into the TT HOME and also changed the root of the folders. everything is moved into the larger partition.

as an update, i redownloaded the hour or so map again, and reinstalled. everything works again and it fits into the tomtom's drive without the SD card.

Thanks again for everyone's help! :eek:

Ask a Question