HELP! Tomtom connects and disconnects

Hi, I just bought a Tomtom one xl today and when i tried connecting it to my computer i hear the device connected sound, and it tells me new hardware found, then about 10 seconds later it disconnects.

When I choose "Yes" to connect to my computer it reboots. Then it will connect and disconnect again, and then ask me again if I want to connect to my computer.

What kind of problem is this? Tomtom device problem? Cable problem?

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Also I have not been connected long enough to look for a driver but will it find it automatically? Or is there one on the cd?

Thanks.

Try a different USB port.
Wait for your computer to prompt with for a continue with or without scan to continue.

If that doesn't work, try to reset the device.
Good Luck.

I had the exact same problem. Multiple emails to TomTom gone unanswered. The problem I had was Vista not recognizing mass media storage devices. After many unsuccessful attempts to connect to my TomTom device I decided to install the latest version 2.1 Home which I had on a thumb drive. I inserted my thumb drive to the usb port but Vista could not install the drivers for that as well. Why Vista has issues with what use to work very well in XP I have no Idea. Vista kept asking for a "driver disk" for my thumb drive which I never had. Through some research on-line I discovered that you have to point Vista to the c:\windows\system32 directory to install drivers for mass media storage devices. A few "found new hardware" screens later my thumb drive was working again. Whenever Vista asks for a driver disk, point to the windows\system32 directory.

This worked for TomTom as well. Only, because the TomTom seems to reset in a loop which caused the found new hardware window to disappear, I had to go to the control panel\system\device manager to install the drivers. With the device manager window open, I would tap the "connect to computer" button on the TomTom and then would see the TomTom device appear in device manager under "other" and with a question mark. Click on that TomTom device and choose reinstall driver. You will have to do this quick as the TomTom device will reset and disconnect. Just keep trying until you can get Vista to look in windows\system32 to install the driver. It will need to install 3 or 4 drivers so just point to that directory until you stop getting the "found new hardware" windows. I believe after the first driver installed the TomTom will stop resetting. This worked for me. Good luck.

I actually returned it for a new one and tried again, same problem.

But then I re-formatted and re-installed Vista and it installed the drivers fine. Definitely a Vista problem, but I've had lots of driver problems with Vista, and a fresh install always fixed it. Something obviously goes missing in the system32 folder.

Ask a Question