HELP - Tom Tom ONE V3 won't come up after failed map update

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I recently purchased a TomTom ONE V3 two weeks back and downloaded latest version of HOME ver 2.1.2.121 from their website on my PC (win 2k). HOME showed latest version of maps were available for download through "Latest Map Guarantee". The Map version on my device was 705 (when I checked in my device). However, when I try to download the map, I kept getting errors and I was told by the customer service that their servers are overloaded and I had the latest map.But I feel customer service was useless because instead of checking the map version, they were checking the version of the application which was 7.161 (it seems they don't know even the difference between application and map) and they couldn't answer why the "Use Latest Map Guarantee" was showing on HOME menu if I had the latest and greatest version of maps. Also my maps showed a version of 705 anyway.

So I waited (meanwhile I was able to download GPSfix and map corrections from mapshare) and tried for the last couple of nights and it still kept failing while downlaoding and installing USA/Canada MAP (Guam map was downloaded and installed successfully). The last error I received was something to do with cline.dat file. After I received this error, I disconnected the device from the computer and tried to bring it up, and it seemed all the settings were gone (like password, home location etc.). It was not getting any lock on the satellite and it seemed the only map that was available was Guam.

So I tried to restore from the backup I had created (I created this immediately after setting all preferences as advised in this forum). After restore, it gives the same error. Also I noticed that the size of the maps have become 670+MB from the original size of 900+ MB (there were 200+ mB free on the device) . I am certain that backup had executed successfully when I did that two weeks ago. Unsure why restore didn't work

If I try to connect to HOME and download maps, it says I need to create 670+ MB to download the maps. I could delete existing maps, but I am really hesitant to delete anything now.

Any suggestions on how to proceed ? Should I return this and get another one? (I am in 14 day return period till tomorrow). Based on my experience so far, I am not sure if I should get another TomTom

Just checked the backup folder again - size of backup is 945 MB. Even though the restore says it is successful, it doesn't look like it was restoring from the backup properly. Has anyone run into this before ?

Should I manually copy everything from "internal memory" folder to my TomTom device ?

Just checked the backup folder again - size of backup is 945 MB. Even though the restore says it is successful, it doesn't look like it was restoring from the backup properly. Has anyone run into this before ?

Should I manually copy everything from "internal memory" folder to my TomTom device ?

You don't explain how you came to the conclusion that "it doesn't look like it was restoring from the backup properly"

You should be able to manually copy all the files from your backup to the TT without using Home. You have nothing to lose at this point.

<qoute>
You don't explain how you came to the conclusion that "it doesn't look like it was restoring from the backup properly"
</quote>
I went through HOME and selected "restore" option. It completed very quickly and gave the message that restore was complete, but it didn't change anything on the device. Free space is still 200+ MB

Finally, it is working

Okay, I think I got it restored. :) Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Two weeks ago, customer service had suggested that I try the older version of HOME when I was encountering problems with Map update (and even the backup) on my Win 2k PC with HOME 2.1.2.121. So I installed older version of HOME (2.0) that came with the device on a laptop (vista) and took a backup (I am glad I did that). However, when I tried to restore from this backup on the laptop, restore never worked.

As a last resort, I copied the entire backup to my PC with HOME 2.1.2.121 (which couldn't backup or get new maps). Guess what - restore worked from HOME!! Same was not working on the laptop with older version of HOME (2.0) even though the backup was made on that laptop!! Looks like it needs a different version of HOME to backup and restore. :(

Now this is the weird part - PC (win 2k) with HOME 2.1.2.121 shows "Latest Map Guarantee" under "File" menu. I don't see that on the laptop with HOME 2.0.

HOME 2.1.2.121 shows map versions as 705 and Application version as 0
HOME 2.0 shows map version as 705 and Application version as 7.162

So I am not sure why one shows "Latest Map Guarantee" and the other doesn't. How can I upgrade the maps to 710 ? (I had no success with the latest version of HOME and older version doesn't offer an option to upgrade) I already got the application upgraded to 7.162 (since the restore I am using my PC with latest version of HOME for most of the updates).

Thanks in advance for any help on getting this upgrade.

Back-up & Restore doesn't work too well on the Mac either.

Should we really be surprised? Their web site leaves a lot to be desired too.

At least the TomTom itself works and thankful for that.

okay, this is the latest.

I upgraded my HOME on my vista laptop also to 2.1.2.121 and then I could see "Latest Map Guarantee". I attempted a new download from the laptop around midnight and it showed it requires 2 hours to complete (even though I have a 3 MBps broadband). When I checked this morning, the update had failed (again), this time showing "Internal sevrer error" and download of maps didn't complete, After the recent failure, I noticed that it takes 15 secs - 2 mins to get a satellite signal (it used to be aalmost instantaneous earlier)

So out of the 7 attempts to upgrade the maps so far, I think I got 4 internal server errors, 3 other errors including an error that messed up the device.

Is this normal ? Did anyone encounter so many failures in downloading ? I have given up hope with customer service because according to them I have the latest maps even though device states MAP: "USA_and_Canada" v705.1481

Ask a Question